Saturday, February 8, 2014

Unknown Changes

This morning my thoughts are scattered. Every so often we  must reorganize our thoughts,don't you think ? More properly though it is our beliefs that require review. It is prudent to take stock stock and inventory. We tend to go along thinking we have it all figured out and then, something changes. There are times when you can not put those changes into a category. Sometimes there just doesn't appear to be a place on the shelf. I find myself in that position this morning.
Oh, nothing earth shattering has happened, nothing of great significance, at least I don't think so, but that it what is unsettling, the not knowing. Normally we just file things away as a matter of course. Things fit into an area. We all experience the full range of emotion. I think it is the difficulty in  identifying the emotion that I am feeling now, that is the cause of this unrest. Emotions are motivators but usually not very good guides. That is where the sorting out should begin. Is it anger,fear,empathy,sorrow, disappointment or some other emotion ? Just why do I find this change so troubling ? Is it really a change at all ?
This blog is not a platform for airing my personal struggles. I write this to share my thoughts and experiences with others. I hope some find it useful and I write it for myself as well. This short piece is just that, a therapeutic exercise. It does help to just write things down. I often discover things about myself in these writings that I wasn't aware of. Perhaps that is what is troubling to me this morning. Could it be that I have looked into a corner that I have not fully examined before ? Are the things I see there unsettling to me ? The question then becomes, do I discard those items or embrace them ? How much of me do I hold onto ?
Growth involves changes. Changes can be difficult and painful. There are changes that will occur naturally, the ones we can not control, and there are changes by choice. In time those changes becomes the normal thing, the standard. In some areas however there should be no change. Change should not be contradictory to growth. These are the pieces of " you " that should be embraced. They may or may not be embraced by others. Is it possible to love the whole without loving all the pieces ? I think this is true with others, but not so much with yourself. A truthful man knows his faults and strives to correct them. I think the best you can hope for is forgiveness. Forgiveness for yourself, from yourself. Deciding when that forgiveness should be given is an exercise in growth.

No comments:

Post a Comment