Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Reluctant heroes

What has changed ? That is a question often asked. It is met with a myriad of answers. Theories abound about what has changed. What is this difference ? It wasn't like this in the old days. I hear that a lot as well. What is it I am talking about ? Attitude is what I'm talking about. A shift in social attitude has taken place over the last generation. And here is where I espouse my thought on that change. I think what has changed,what is missing, is humility. We have shifted more to the pride side of things. I believe there is a big misunderstanding about what humility is and just what pride is. I can not recall the author of this quote but it is not mine, " Pride makes us artificial, humility makes us real. " I sure do hear a lot of people and groups proclaiming " PRIDE. " This kinda pride and that kinda pride. With pride comes arrogance. Things only go down hill from there. Confucius said, " Humility is the solid foundation of all virtues. " That old Chinese fella was pretty sharp and insightful. Humility is also encouraged in the Bible. How can we worship our God should we not poses humility ?
The confusion may lie in the word humility vs humiliation. Different things altogether. Humiliation is the act of damaging someone elses' dignity. To suffer a loss of dignity is to be humiliated. Humility is the act of being modest or humble. It is not the absence of pride altogether. Being respectful of others is showing humility. Pride need not be boastful or vain. It is these distinctions that are being lost. The humble man does not humiliate others. The virtue of humility was illustrated in the television show, Kung Fu . Yes, it was a hokey show and taken to the extremes, but the lesson was there. I can think of no shows today that do the same. Are we teaching our children about humility ? Sadly I think that virtue is not being taught or demonstrated much in general society today. I see a lot of arrogance and pride however ! The actions of many are becoming hubristic  in my opinion.
Once there was a day of reluctant heroes. Today I hear a lot of people claiming that title. I even hear some demanding that title. There are parades of pride. Action groups and movements abound. A lot of bluster and noise about rights and entitlements. What I see too little of is the quiet humility of the virtuous. In a sense I suppose that is as it should be. It really shouldn't be seen. It just appears to me that humility is being forgotten and the brute force of pride and arrogance is winning the battle. It is a challenge to the humble. Truth will prevail in the end. I do believe it would be a lot easier and a more productive approach if we all learned a little more about humility. Often times great people come from humble beginnings. That doesn't always mean they were poor, it does mean they were humble in spirit. 

No comments:

Post a Comment