Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Going to Church

I remember that day like it was just a few days ago. I was standing there looking out the front door. The sun was shining through that glass in the aluminum storm door. You know the kind, the ones with the bent aluminum initial in them that matched the family's' last name. Well, it was supposed to anyway but ours was a used one and had someone else's. That never did get changed. I was ten years old at the time. I remember seeing the long shadow on the living room floor from myself and the door. Then Mom says, we are going to start going to church. Just like that, out of the blue. My first thought was, there goes Sundays. There was no discussion, no questions asked, Mom said so and that was that. The following week I had to get " dressed " as we dressed for church in those days and off we went. All the way there my sister and I were lectured on behaving ourselves in church. Apparently any infraction in Church means immediate descent to , well,  lets' just say you don't want to go there. Following that first service I met the Minister. Mr. Davis stood at the door shaking hands with everyone. He was wearing those long robes and the collar and kinda looked like an older Jesus to me. It was a bit intimidating. He started asking questions ! Yes, I enjoyed the service and yes I will come again. Now I did it, having just told Jesus I would come back again I am not left with much choice, there goes Sundays for sure.
As it turned out my sister and I joined the junior choir. We had practice on saturday mornings We both went every saturday and church on Sunday for the next five years. We never missed a day. We both have the awards for perfect attendance to prove it as well. I didn't progress to the senior choir but opted to serve as an acolyte. I continued my attendance until I left for the service. Mom had been right all along, it was " good for us. " I did enjoy those years and formed a bond with my God that has lasted throughout the years. I became pretty good friends with the Reverend Davis. He really wasn't Jesus but did have an engineering degree and for a motorhead like myself, that was pretty impressive. I didn't know that preachers went o college first. I'm not sure what kind of school I thought they went to but it wasn't regular college. I had heard of seminary school but figured you just studied the Bible and stuff.
All of that would have started in about 1963. Reverend Davis has passed on to his reward. I no longer live anywhere near that church. The church building still stands proudly. I understand it has undergone renovation and expansion since the days of my attendance. I also understand there have been some shifts in the teachings of that church. Guess I should have mentioned it is an Episcopal church. Not that I stick exclusively to a particular denomination, I don't, but I hear about changes in doctrine. I can't help but wonder what Reverend Davis would have to say about those changes. I don't believe he was what you would call progressive. Nevertheless those years were a great time in my life. Friendships formed, memories made and a strong foundation for living laid. Yes as it turned out going to church on Sunday was a good thing. Looking back I can say this, my sister and I went every Sunday but after a while Mom would just drop us off. She didn't attend regularly. Maybe not having us around for a few hours was her idea of Church ! It was certainly more peaceful.

No comments:

Post a Comment