Friday, February 28, 2014

A couple things

It is the last day of February. The march winds have already begun to blow here in Greensboro. Those same March winds are supposed to blow old man winter away. Well, I hope so, so far he ain't a goin' nowhere. It is 12 degrees this morning. According to the forecasters there is little relief in sight from this cold. More talk of a polar vortex. Call it what you will, it is cold weather !
Next Tuesday is shrove tuesday. Seems like it should be warmer but those pancakes will taste great on a cold day. Lent begins on Wednesday. I was surprised to learn how many of our younger people do not know about those traditions. I guess they are not being taught those things at home or in school anymore. Probably not politically correct or maybe offensive to some. I don't understand it. It is a definite shift in social conscience. One I'm afraid is not for the better. I mean, let's face it, even the pretense of acknowledging God, is preferable to just ignoring him altogether. Ah, the times they are a'changin'.
On the news I see where Spike Lee made some big rant about a process called " gentrification. " Had to look that one up. He was opposed ! In a foul mouthed,obscenity laden rant he complained about how his old neighborhood had been improved by the white folks ! He didn't say way he no longer lived there himself and chooses to live in a 32 million dollar mansion elsewhere. Maybe he is championing reverse Gentrification. I don't know. I do wonder why people put so much stock in what celebrities say. I would say he is a competent filmmaker but what does that have to do with gentrification ? Being a filmmaker does not bestow you with all the answers to the problems of urban blight.
I have been taking a course on the constitution. Very interesting. I just learned an interesting fact about the Bill of Rights. The first ten amendments all restrict the powers of Congress, ie: guarantee our rights. The other seventeen bestow more authority to Congress, taking away some of the power of the people. Something to think about. I wonder why the Government seems to be getting more intrusive ? Just something to consider.
So, let the March winds blow and get rid of old man winter. April showers await and the flowers that bloom in May. Something happens in June too but I don't remember that part of the song. Bluebirds singing ? I'll take it.

No comments:

Post a Comment