Thursday, February 6, 2014

CUD

I was checking my Facebook page, news feed, or whatever you call it when it jumped out at me, a warning ! The headline said, " Expert warns of " Caffeine Use Disorder. "  It caught my attention and I began to read the article. Expecting it to be about those energy drinks the kids seem to favor these days, I was shocked to find she was talking about my morning cup of coffee. The research behind this was done by a Professor Laura Juliano. It is her opinion that nearly 50% of all Americans that drink coffee suffer from this Caffeine Use Disorder, CUD for short. I could be suffering from CUD ! In her study she found nearly 50% of the people interviewed said they would have trouble reducing or quitting there coffee consumption. She doesn't say anyone actually tried to quit or reduce there coffee consumption just that they said it would be hard. I can testify to this, I can quit drinking coffee anytime I want to but I would be cranky ! But in fairness to the Professor I must say this. When I first started with this coffee habit I used cream and sugar. Instant coffee with two teaspoons of sugar and a goodly amount of cream was sufficient to appease me. I have progressed to, straight black coffee, perked, only the purest grind will do. Have I developed  CUD ? OMG, the professor says and I quote ;
" The negative effects of caffeine are often not recognized as such because it is a socially acceptable and widely consumed DRUG that is well integrated into our customs and daily routines. And while many people can consume caffeine without harm, for some it produces negative effects, physical dependence, interferes with with daily functioning and can be difficult to give up, which are signs of problematic use. "
First I must say I think maybe the professor was using too much caffeine herself when she wrote that paragraph. It is a bit of a run on sentence. On and on like after you drink a lot of coffee. I know about that, I have been known to do the same. Oh, a sign of CUD !
There is hope though. The professor says it is a treatable disorder. Therapy with a professional can help. Treatment centers for other additions may prove beneficial. A ten step program may be in order. Currently manufacturers are not required to label the caffeine amounts in their products. As a guide the professor recommends no more than two or three eight ounce cups of coffee a day. Less, if you are pregnant. And so I say, what the heck is up with 7-11 selling those large coffees ! Shouldn't there be a limit ! Should we be allowing coffee drinking on tv ? What example are we setting for the children.
Well all we can hope for is for science to develop a new pill. A new drug to replace this insidious coffee bean addition. Who knew ? That's what I want to know. Who knew about this plaque upon the nation and did nothing ? Maxwell house, Folgers or does it go deeper than that ? I expect it will be covered under "  Obama Care. " I have CUD and can no longer function effectively in society. Now this as got me wondering about my corn flakes use.

No comments:

Post a Comment