Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Selfish Secrets ?

Every once and a while someone famous, or at least well known, will write a tell all book. I see these as a way to get the attention back on themselves. These books sell because we are just naturally curious about the sordid little details in someone else's life. We like to keep our own little secrets but are more than willing to learn yours. In that way we can sit smugly knowing how you messed up, and not have to admit to our own mistakes. Sometimes these tell all books are just telling about someone else. Now that is the best of both worlds isn't it ? I mean you get to tell everything you know without having to really reveal anything about your own shortcomings. Well, that is as long as you don't feel any moral obligation to whomever you are talking about. You can wait until they pass away, but then you have to be concerned with the family that is left, they might sue you.
Now I'm a person that has a tendency to share everything. I talk and offer my opinion on just about everything. I am a person of few secrets. Notice I did say,few. Yup, I got secrets too. There are things in my past I am not proud of and things I do not talk about. These are not necessarily of the " tell all " quality one would want for a book, but I don't want them out there for commentary either. Isn't that the truth about most of us ? There are things we have done or said that we wish we could just take back. We can't. But we can avoid commentary on the subject. The easiest way to do that is to just keep quiet about it. The old saying, learn to live with it, applies and it works well. The key there being try not live with a crowd, know what I mean ? Too many secrets are hard to keep, those skeletons will get out of the closet !
It is a relief to unburden ourselves of these little secrets. I am not of the Catholic faith, but I imagine that is what confession is all about. Not a bad idea and if you can't trust a priest, you can you trust ? I also think that is what a therapist really does, listen. In the movies it is a bartender that serves the same purpose. This telling of secrets relies on trust. When a feeling of guilt becomes too great a burden, that is when we begin to trust. Doesn't always work out though.
I have thought about this in the past. My thought was to write down all my little secrets and in some fashion not have them revealed until after my death. But my thought was to go a little farther than that. I wouldn't want any of those secrets known until the Grandkids were gone too. Well, until everyone that every knew me in the flesh was gone for that matter. I figure that way there can be no rebuttal. When there is no one left to dispute my claims. Also when there is no one left that these revelations may hurt or disappoint. No need in applying tarnish to a legend, eh ? In thinking about this I have come to a conclusion. There is no need to do that at all. The writing (telling) of those secrets would serve no purpose other than to relieve myself of those burdens. If I have passed on I'm guessing the burdens are gone too ! Other than to satisfy a future descendants curiosity, it would serve no function whatsoever. So, it really is a selfish thought. Or is it selfish not to share ? I'll have to think about this some more.


No comments:

Post a Comment