Monday, January 20, 2014

Finishing Up

I have been accused of not finishing things. Little projects left undone. It is true that I get all fired up about things and get started on them only to have my interest wane a bit later on. It just seems to me once I know I can accomplish the task I do lose interest in it. I like the challenge, but once the challenge is answered, well, I do get a little lazy and start thinking about the next thing. Before I know it I am fired up about something else. I come by this trait naturally. My father was the same way. Now he did finish a whole lot more projects than I have, but few of them were one hundred per cent complete. Mom would always complain about that. A piece of molding left off, or some painting left to do. Dad always had big plans and projects. At various times he had an airplane, in about a hundred pieces, an amphibious car ( needed work ) several boats and numerous projects for the house and yard. Dad was a man that believed in doing it yourself. If you want it done right, do it yourself was his mantra. In his defense, he was a man that could do it all. The only skill lacking in the trades for him was electronics. He didn't know much about that but mechanic,plumber,electrician,carpenter and even mason he had covered. In fact he worked in most of those trades at one time or another. Seemed like he lost interest a lot too. He always worked however. He was never out of a job. The only drawback was he never had a vacation either. I don't think he stayed with anyone long enough to earn that privilege. Of course this was back in the fifties and sixties and vacation times were not as liberal or common as they are today.
I have worked in several occupations myself. I had my Navy career that spanned twenty years so I can say I stuck to that. I will admit to having a wife that shall we say, encouraged that. I'm glad I listened. I did learn a lot of skills from Dad. I was also an Industrial Arts major in high school. Took every course that was offered with the exception of auto body shop. Would have taken that if it was possible but scheduling wouldn't allow that. For a short time I reupholstered furniture for a living. My favorite job and one where each project had to be completed without exception. Uh, maybe that is a message.
I have done a little self analysis about this. One theory is I have a fear of failure. If I do not finish the project I can not be called a failure. I can always just say, I wasn't finished yet ! That would seem to be obvious and a valid argument. Another theory says, I do not wish to finish the project because then it would end. The excitement and challenge would be over. I like to be open to possibilities and finishing closes the door on that. Finality is something I do not enjoy. There is a third possibility Maybe it is just that I lose interest. The completion of the project in my mind is enough to satisfy me. I do not feel the need to prove it to anyone, so the project just sits incomplete.
I do feel as though I have time. I do not feel rushed to complete anything. Some will tell you that is the attitude of the young. I can see that. I do know that my time is limited. I won't live forever. I think it is just a matter of motivation. It would be fair to say, I lack motivation in some areas, like finishing up. I do think it is a man thing though. Isn't that why they say behind every successful man is a woman pushing him ? So I can now rationalize why my projects don't get done. It is my wife's fault. Yup, think I'll go with that explanation.
Seriously though I do need to complete at least one major project. I think we should all do that. Whether it is building something,knitting something or some other craft is not important. We should all leave something behind. Something that future generations can hold. The quality of the project is not as important as the leaving it behind part. I don't think anyone will want to save an unfinished project so I had best get to it. The only thing left now is to decide upon what it should be. I'll think about that some more,tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment