Friday, January 31, 2014

Players

One of my favorite quotes is, " All the worlds a stage, and all the men and women merely players. " It has been paraphrased in several different ways, but the meaning is always the same. I like the simplicity of the opening line. I can see the logic in that thought clearly. It also leads me to think.
We are all actors upon this stage we call life, And each of us must play a role in it. How we play the role is what defines us. Also, to a certain degree, we choose the play we wish to be in. Drama or comedy. For me, in my younger years, I would have to say I chose comedy for the most part. I took little very seriously and a lot with a flippant attitude. The arrogance of youth. Now, as the years advance I find myself being a bit more dramatic. Still, I am guarded about taking things too seriously, myself included. Our lives are but a moment in time. The contrast to that statement is, there is that time between what is right and what is wrong, and that time is also just a moment. How many times do we say, but it worked a minute ago ? In a moment it was broken. It is in that moment that we realize all has changed. Perhaps it can be repaired, but it will never be the same again. That is true with objects as well as with people. A trust broken never fully mends. An opportunity for growth is presented with that as well. There are two sides to every coin.
I think the trick in life is not to overact. Do not be overly dramatic or comedic. A balance is required. It is a difficult state to achieve. We all want to be taken seriously ( respected ) and we all desire to liked by others (camaraderie ) and the balance between the two is called love. As in , Love your fellow man. The accomplished actor can achieve this balance.
Comedy is by far the easiest role to play, but for it you pay the highest price. The mental effort required to sustain that jovial state is very taxing. Outward appearances are deceiving. To remain the butt of the joke, or not having anything you say taken seriously, can be depressive. Those that live a very dramatic life, will often, by the very nature of their actions, become rejected by society. Over acting leads to not being credible. Isn't the purpose of acting to make others believe ?
Each of us are merely players. The author of the play is the only one that knows that final outcome. I do think we need to decide just who that author is and follow his direction. We make our entrance and exit upon his command. 

No comments:

Post a Comment