Sunday, January 19, 2014

Practice

I have touched upon this subject before but I think it needs revisiting. In thinking about society today, social attitudes and behaviors, I'm thinking we have  become a little too relaxed about the whole thing. I think we should live our lives with a bit more formality. Living a good life is a serious business. It is something that should be approached with care and thought. Our childhood is a time of learning. During this period of development we should learn proper behaviors. We should learn the nuances of everyday life. Instruction in how to interact with others of differing cultures and viewpoints, should be learned. It is the responsibility of the adult to teach these behaviors. This ability is impaired if we all act as children.
Familiarity breeds contempt. I'm certain you have heard that phrase before. It is a simple truth. Once we become familiar with something, be it a person or a group, some of the mystery goes away. Our perception changes and contempt may creep in. Contempt is a lack of respect for something or someone. I see an awful lot of that everyday. Respect is a word thrown around a lot. Few understand just what respect is, in my opinion. Respect is consideration for others and their feelings, that is my definition. I can respect you without having to agree with you. That doesn't mean I can just say so, however. That is the considered part of the equation. I need to consider, to take into account, your feelings before I open my mouth. Also every time I feel as though I may have been disrespected it is not an invitation to go to war. Personally I will just disassociate myself from that person. I have found, many years ago, I can not recruit everyone to team Reichart. There are those that disagree with me. I know, hard to believe, but it is true.
I just think that if we reverted back to a more formal existence we all would benefit. By a more formal existence I am saying, polite. A simple thing like exercising the manners we were taught would go a long way to easing tensions. I much prefer to be in " polite company " rather than anarchy. A society of rules and social conventions is preferred. Living in a more formal society forces us to consider our actions, rather than just reacting. If you are just reacting to a stimulus, you are not thinking. They call that a conditioned response. We can condition ourselves to respond appropriately just as easily as inappropriately. It is a matter of repetition. Isn't that why Mom always said, practice your manners ? Ah, the old folks were wise.
For everything we do there is training. Whatever sport or occupation you can think of, there is a training regimen. It doesn't make any difference if it is physical or mental, it requires practice. Living in society is no different. We need to practice. We should take a measured and formal approach to it. You only get one shot at doing it right. There are no do overs for your life. So I would say this, practice your manners. Approach life as you would any exam. Study and prepare. Consider your response carefully and then commit to it. The final exam awaits, will you pass the test ? 

No comments:

Post a Comment