Thursday, January 2, 2014

better or worse ?

With every new year comes new laws. A few of the more controversial ones you hear about on the news. There are two that just jumped out at me . The first one was that Governor Christie of New Jersey signed a bill authorizing in state tuition for illegal aliens, er undocumented workers, er undocumented students or um those that are in the country illegally and living in New Jersey. The problem I have with that is, if my grandson, a born and bred American living in Maryland wishes to go to say, Princeton University he would be considered an alien to the state of New Jersey and not eligible for the reduced in state tuition. Is it just me or do you see the irony in that as well ? Those that sneak across the border or perhaps they were even smuggled across as a baby, not there fault right, get the reduced rate, basically a subsidy from the state but my grandson would not ! So if I am a tax payer in the state of New Jersey I am now paying for those that are illegal to get an education. Then when they get that education they can secure employment, and we must hire a certain segment of the minority population ( preferential treatment in my opinion ) and take the job of perhaps a born and bred American citizen. Makes sense doesn't it ? Enough said, talk to the hand.
And then I hear you can now buy marijuana for recreational use in the state of Colorado. Hmm, a state sponsored program to grow,sell and distribute marijuana. I hear about the potential revenue it could generate. I hear it will reduce crime and keep that money out of the hands of criminals ! Sounds like a real plan doesn't it ? Well hasn't the government demanded that the tobacco companies put a warning label on their products, since 1965 in fact, and continually raised the tax on those products ? And what is the reason they have been stating  ? Causes lung cancer, among other things. I guess smoking pot doesn't. Well at least if you smoke it like ex president Bill Clinton did and don't inhale it ! LOL. Give me a break. How many government and state sponsored programs are there to help people quit smoking ? I could go down a list. I could cite a bunch of facts and figures but you and I know all that costs a ton of money. And now the state of Colorado has added to that ! Yeah, it is easier to decriminalize than enforce a law. Yeah, it is easier to just collect the revenue and turn a blind eye to the possible social havoc this could cause. In a few years we can use the revenue to sponsor programs to help the pot heads find themselves. That's cool man. Yeah I know it is no worse than drinking but don't we have programs for that habit as well ? Isn't that a bit like comparing diseases, is one better than another ?
I just have concerns for the direction this country is taking. I know every preceding generation has said the same thing. I am no different. The best I can hope for is that at some point in the future some one reads these words and says, " boy was he wrong. "

No comments:

Post a Comment