Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Original Thoughts ?

Random thoughts often enter my mind. There are times when I just jot those thoughts down without giving them additional consideration. After a while I may return to that thought only to discover it paraphrases something already having been stated. Often I am surprised by that. I hadn't thought of that at all. Or did I ? Is it plagiarism ? I don't think so, unless it is done intentionally. I have often thought that there are very few thoughts that haven't been thought of already. There is little left to say. Most things we say are just a rehashing of ideas or explanations we have heard or read somewhere. So the questions remains, are there any original thoughts left ?
Originality is often misconstrued as eccentric or downright insane behavior, unless it comes in the form of entertainment. Original thinking is often the subject of ridicule. Examples of this abound in history. Some are still debated today. A man named Darwin comes to mind. Galileo was thought to be nuts. His support of the Copernican theory got him twice charged with heresy. Being original means being different. Different is not always accepted. The rub comes in getting others to understand that originality. That is especially true if it requires the abandonment of previously held ideas.
Going back to my first thought, the original idea I had, is it plagiarism when you write or say something that has been said before, if you do so without any knowledge of the previous idea ? I think the answer would have to be no. To plagiarize is to knowingly do so. So what do you call it when that happens ? If the thought was pure and my own it would be an original thought to me. If I then share that thought and research shows another person,out of the millions and millions before me, also had that thought I am not given the credit. In fact if I attempt to publish that thought I may be subject to penalty.
There are plagiarism checkers online. I have tried a few of them and find they will tell you, more often than not, that your words are plagiarized. I'm thinking certain key phrasing or combination of words must trigger this. Surely even the internet cannot read and review every work that has ever been written. I try not to hijack anyone elses thoughts and claim them for my own. I can not always be certain that I haven't read the general theme of that thought at another time. I do try to credit others with whatever credit they are due. I suppose that is what journalist integrity is all about. Another instance of trying to legislate morality.
I am flattered when others like my words. I am disturbed when it is implied that I may have plagiarized anothers' work. I am surprised at times to learn that I have paraphrased a famous quote. All I can do is try to remain true to myself. Isn't that a goal we should all strive toward.

No comments:

Post a Comment