Monday, April 4, 2011

" Wrasslin' "

Last night was Wrestlemania ! I know, it's fake and the outcomes are predetermined. Still I have been watching "wrasslin" for as long as I can remember. The earliest shows I remember watching came on channel eight on Saturday morning. I've enjoyed listening to the trash talk and watching the antics of the participants ever since.
To me  wrestling,as least professional wrestling,is like a soap opera. You have your good guys and bad guys. The plot frequently changes and so do the characters. Over the years I have seen wrestling rise and fall in popular culture. Some of the characters have remained pretty much unchanged over the years. Some moved on to Hollywood. More than a few have met tragic ends. Suicides and the effects of drugs and alcohol being their downfall. The wrestling business is not an easy one to succeed in. It has grown into a multi million dollar enterprise.
Anyone that watches wrestling for any length of time will have their favorites. These characters will appeal to you and deep down I think reflect a part of your own character. One of my personal favorites is "The Rock."
He quit wrestling for a movie career and hasn't been an active participant in seven years. But last night at Wrestlemania the Rock has come back ! Albeit for a one night deal but I was pleased to see him again. He is just one of those ageless characters that can return and pick up just where he left off.
As anyone that knows anything about the wrestling business knows, the most important thing is fan appeal. You must have a good solid character and be a good speaker. The Rock is among the best. He has several catch phrases and knows how to deliver them. My personal favorite of his is when he says, " It doesn't matter what you think ! " Delivered with just the right amount of sarcasm it is hilarious every time.
Yes, I admit it I'm a wrestling fan. I enjoy watching these athletes, and believe me they are athletes, do their thing. Night after night they have to perform. It is a dangerous occupation. Injuries happen all the time. I admire their toughness. It takes a special kind of person to do that. Is it a craving for the spotlight ? Sure.
Is it just a job ? For some that may be the case. Over time it may be that springboard to a Hollywood career. Whatever their personal reasons it is a difficult road to follow.
I make no excuses and offer no apologies for liking wrestling. It is pure fantasy. A staged epic battle between right and wrong. The classic struggle. I cheer for my champions and razz the bad guys. Last night in Atlanta,Ga. over 70,000 fans agreed with me. It is fun to watch.

1 comment:

  1. I seem to remember watching some big guy - was his name Haystack Calhoun"? - wearing bib-front overalls and swinging horse shoes in a rope as a weapon in the ring...

    ReplyDelete