Saturday, April 30, 2011

Remembering the Past

As you probably know we are celebrating the 150 year anniversary of the beginning of the Civil War.
I know a little about this war but would not consider myself an enthusiast. I am not involved in reenactments or anything like that. I had several ancestors that fought. As far as I know they were all Union soldiers
One ancestor,my 2nd Great Grandfather,James Bishop Terry I know quite a bit about. I have his sword belt and buckle. I also have a picture of him in uniform.
Having read about this war I couldn't help but wonder about his part in it. Naturally you go in thinking about the famous battles. Gettysburg,Shiloh and Antiem. You go searching expecting to find a hero. Well,the truth is a little different. Thanks to the numerous records that have been preserved and the wonder of the Internet I have been able to discover a good part of the record. He was in the 127th New York Volunteer Infantry. Company G. Their nickname was "The Monitors." Most of these men came from Eastern Long Island.
My ancestor spent the majority of his service in the hospital. Not suffering from any wounds received in a glorious battle, but rather from disease. The record does not state any specific malady. So much for the war hero. He did survive the war,an accomplishment all in itself, and rise to the rank of Sargent. According to the records I have thus far discovered, the proudest moments for the 127th came in guarding Fort Sumter after it had been recaptured from the rebel forces. They were there when Old Glory was raised over that fort,again !
All of that was very interesting to me. I still wonder about his thoughts and motivations. In the very beginning of the war,many thought the war would be over in a matter of weeks. The northerners believed they would quell this rebellion quite easily. In fact, the first enlistees were only signed up for a very short time. I wonder if my 2nd Great Grandfather believed that as well? He was 19 when he joined up. Young by today's thinking, but a mature adult in his world. He was single at that time. Did he join out of patriotism? Or was it a youthful adventure? What were his thoughts as the war dragged on? Sadly,no letters or thoughts from him exist today.
All we are left with is a relic. I pick his belt and buckle up and can sometimes feel his presence. Although, he was long gone before my time.
I know from a few newspaper clippings and other sources that he belonged to a veterans group. He went to their annual meetings. I have seen the roster from a few of these meetings. There is something special about seeing your ancestors name included. He lived longer than most following the war. He passed on Jan 17, 1917. He was 74 years old. He left a widow and eight children.
His belt and buckle
Your service to our nation is not forgotten Grandfather ! Whatever your motivation was; I am grateful.

No comments:

Post a Comment