Thursday, April 7, 2011

Pez,Donuts and the Royal Wedding

Maybe it is just a girl thing but I fail to see the fascination with a "Royal Wedding." Maybe too,it is because I do not have a favorable view of Kings and Queens Princes' and Princesses ! I don't see where they perform much of a useful service to their country. Seems to me like they have a lot of money and do little. Whatever.
Being a colonial this should come as no surprise to anyone that knows me. They did,after all,try to tax my tea ! Switched to coffee anyway; so there.
I remember all the hoopla surrounding the wedding of Princess Diana. The media coverage and the many memorabilia items that were sold. A friend of mine has a set of paper dolls with all the clothes of Princess Diana. Which brings me to the subject of today's little blog. Pez and Donuts. I have seen in the news that Pez has made a pair of dispensers in the likeness of Prince William and Kate. They are on E-Bay and being auctioned off for charity. Not sure which charity. According to the article these will be the only set made. It should prove interesting to see just how much they will fetch. I'm willing to bet it will be a considerable sum.
Now Dunkin' Donuts will be selling,for a limited time, Royal Donuts. Jelly filled donuts in the shape of a heart. Don't think any are planned to be served at the Royal Wedding reception though. Good old fashioned American enterprise. We will make something off this wedding. Should any of these donuts contain a likeness of Jesus it could also be auctioned off ! Did that with a grilled cheese sandwich but I digress.
I can't help but wonder at the interest taken in this wedding. Prince William is most likely to be the next King of England. From what I hear his Father really doesn't want the job. Brother Harry has to wait his turn. The Royals mean nothing to me and I'm not impressed. Granted ,in recent years they have paid their taxes like everyone else and they do do charity work and the like, but I can't see them as much more than celebrities. As far as I know they can't sing,dance or act. I don't think I will ever understand it. My wife will never understand my fascination with my ancestors. It is a matter of what does interest you.
So for all you Royal Wedding watchers,enjoy the show. Make sure you get your Royal Donuts (only $.89) during the wedding week. Don't forget to bid on the Pez dispensers ! What other products await ? One can only speculate.

1 comment:

  1. Oh come on now - surely your granddaughters have dressed in princess dresses! It's no big mystery - Cinderella in real life, riding in a coach, wearing a tiara, every girls dream! And what's so bad about being rich and not having to work? It sounds like the perfect life to me Ben! If only Prince Charles had looked my way all those years ago...
    :-)

    ReplyDelete