Friday, April 29, 2011

Androids

I was never much of a sci fi nut but aren't androids like robots or something ? Mechanical people ?
Now it is apparently a telephone. Well,I suppose a cell phone and mini computer kinda rolled into one thing.
Don't know a whole lot about it except what I hear others say and advertising. Can't believe the advertising and people tend to rave about new things. I heard something about these Androids tracking you. I am a little suspicious about that . Wasn't there some movie about machines taking over ?
One thing I do know for sure. The proliferation of cell phones in all their forms are making the world a much smaller and somewhat more crowded place. Having been in the Navy  and seen many different cultures I observed a few things. In a lot of other countries personal privacy isn't the same as one would expect here in America. Cities are crowded and the population live in very close proximity in small apartments or "flats" as they are sometimes called. People carry on their business with little or no awareness of others around them.
In some of these countries even the most intimate of things are done in a public setting. A little unnerving to an American. Even in our larger cities like New York you can see that happening. That is part of why you hear the stories about the city. As a whole Americans are private people. Used to the wide open spaces ! The space is starting to close in.
You hear and see in the news all the time about texting and driving. Talking on the phone and driving. I don't know what else you might be doing on that Android thing but people are probably doing it while driving.
Distracted driving is a serious matter for sure but that is not what bothers me most. The thing that bugs me is when people seem more interested in their phones than those in their immediate surroundings. How many times have you been engaged in a conversation only to have it interrupted by the phone ? Or you are talking to someone that begins fiddling with their phone? Makes me crazy. If the call is important excuse yourself and take it. That's why I say it seems like the world is getting too crowded. As long as everyone has those phones it's like having a thousand people,or more,in the room. It is so easy for you to just be ignored. As if you aren't even there. They are changing,ever so slightly,our culture. Was a time when people would excuse themselves and put a small amount of distance between them and you before engaging in conversation with another. Not so much anymore. Now they are just as likely to answer that phone and just start having a conversation with another person, as if you disappeared with the ringing of the telephone. Rude I think.
I feel uncomfortable when that happens. I don't want to listen to your conversation. I don't know if I should walk away either. I'm just left there hanging! Especially when the conversation lasts a while. How long should I wait before walking away. Should I distance myself so as not to eavesdrop?
Yes they are making the world a much smaller place. Pictures and text sent almost instantly to anywhere. Half your life in now in the full public domain. Technology is closing in. The Androids are here. They are tracking your every move. Beware.

No comments:

Post a Comment