Saturday, April 23, 2011

More Changes

Funny how things change over time. Growing up every man I knew carried a pocket knife. Some called it a pen knife. Almost always it was a folding knife of some sort. A jack knife. There was good reason to carry one. Back then a lot of packages were tied with string. That knife came in handy for that. Could sharpen a pencil with it too. Maybe peel your apple. Cut bait. Open letters and any number of situations might crop up.
The other day I broke the blade on my pocket knife. I haven't replaced it yet but do miss it. I have found myself reaching for it several times.
The funny thing is,nowadays, you have to be careful where you take that pocket knife. Take it to the wrong place and bam ! Security Alert, he has a deadly weapon. You might get tased or locked up. Luckily for me I hardly ever go anywhere that it matters. Also I am fortunate enough to avoid any run ins with the law. I wonder how many men carry a pocket knife anymore. I'm thinking if they are under the age of forty the chances are less. Where you live, I'm sure, makes a big difference as well.
Wrist watches are like that. I wore one up till a few years ago. Then I got a cell phone. No need for a watch anymore. Grandfather carried a pocket watch complete with a watch fob. Very classy and also very common in his day. Wrist watches were very expensive and not so accurate. Dad wore a wrist watch.
Wrist watches today are more for show than anything else. I don't know what happened to my last watch.
Well it wasn't an expensive one anyway. Do they still give watches as retirement gifts ?
We,as a society,have taken things away. Back in time almost everyone carried a gun and a knife. At one point,about the time towns and cities grew larger,it was made illegal to carry a gun. Later some one decided that a knife with a blade exceeding three inches in length shouldn't be allowed. At least not to be carried concealed in your pocket. We were told these items were no longer necessary. We have the law and the law will protect you. Later still, the law would not only protect you from criminals, but protect you from yourself as well !
Things change over time. Now mostly criminals and thugs carry the weapons. Thing is, back in the day they were not considered to be weapons. They were just tools. A knife was a tool and so was a gun. Most men carried them around because you might need them to survive. Back then you grew up using these tools. At an early age you developed a healthy respect for both. I'm betting there were not as many accidental shootings as there are today. I'm betting too the use of a pocket knife was taught at an early age.
Whether weapon or tool it is the intent of the user that decides its' purpose. Unfortunately in todays' world we have to assume intentions are bad. Society has become cynical.

No comments:

Post a Comment