Friday, April 22, 2011

Making the Sale

I have been working at the grocery store for a while now. Everyday I see the different packaging and labels. Quite a bit of it amuses me. I can't help but smile when I see on the package," now 20% more free "
So,what you're saying here is,  you been charging me the same price for 20% less all this time ? Can I just have the 20% that is free ? Have you noticed that sugar now comes in four pound bags ? Look the same as the five pounder though. Hard to tell the difference. That's the point there. Cereal boxes have become larger and the contents smaller. There is the disclaimer on there though, contents may settle during shipping.
I see a lot of descriptions like, taste like real (insert whatever here). Artificial color and flavors added.
Candy bars come in several sizes. Fun size is the smallest size. The implication being the larger ones are just not as much fun to eat. Still trying to figure out why that is. I can only go on my experience in life and when I was a kid the bigger the bar the more fun I had ! Guess the kids today are easier to please.
I see tons of claims about how healthy the products are. Crunchy Granola bars,fig bars,yogurt bars,assorted trail mixes and a slew of drinks. Most of these products are fairly expensive. If you read the label most don't have any significant differences. Healthy choice concoctions. Just try eating fresh fruits and vegetables. That will do the same thing. And the milk is another thing. There is whole milk, 2% milk, 1%, and skim milk. None of these have the amount of milk fat that we used to get. That's why no cream rises to the top. Kids today have probably never seen that happen.
There is one package that particularly amuses me. There is a cat food that says right on the label, Kitten Formula, underneath that it says,specially formulated for cats on all ages. What college graduate designed that label ? I can't help but smile. I don't know for sure at what age a kitten becomes a cat but it does happen !
Veterinarian approved. There has got to be like thousands of Vets in the United States and you found one that agreed to approve your product. Very impressive. I met a politician once that claimed to always tell the truth. Right.
I know it is all about marketing. The way the package looks is very important. Printing the stuff people want to see in large print and hiding the government mandated stuff in micro print. Making the generic products look like the brand name ones without infringing upon copyrights is an art in itself. Guessing I spend too much time thinking about what I read. The next time you are shopping  check it out. I'm sure you will see a few things that will make you smile. Fruit Punch, contains no actual fruit . LOL

No comments:

Post a Comment