Wednesday, April 13, 2011

An Old Friend

I've touched on this subject before but thought I would revisit it. The mail. My son and his wife had been visiting from New York and after they left for home I discovered they had left their I-Pod. At least I think that is what they called it. Plays music and videos. Not being sure when we will see each other again I determined to mail it back. I did a little rummaging in the attic and found the perfect box. I even had some of those Styrofoam peanut things and bubble wrap. Having carefully packaged this electronic device I went to the post office. The post mistress ,is that correct, asked how I would like to send it. Did I want to send it Priority Mail ? I replied no,just regular I guess,two or three days would be fine. I was surprised by the response, "that is Priority mail !" I just acted casual and said ,Oh fine. Then came the string of questions regarding insurance,delivery confirmation,whether it is fragile or hazardous and a few others. When it is all said and done the cost comes to $ 7.79 cents. The insurance was a little over two dollars but thought I had best get it, although my experience with having a claim settled on that is not positive. That's another story.
I'm not a postal employee or even a frequent user of the postal service so I'm not up to speed on everything. When did regular delivery of mail turn into Priority Mail ? I know about next day mail,the name is self explanatory,but one would certainly think Priority Mail meant well,Priority. I am fairly proficient in the English language and thought I knew the meaning of that word. Apparently everyday stuff is now priority.
The postal service will provide boxes,at no charge,for  use in mailing priority items. They will even pick it up for free. It is clearly stated on the end of the box, " This packaging is the property of the United States Postal Service and is provided solely for use in sending Priority Mail. Misuse may be a violation of federal law."
I had one, but my item wouldn't fit in it. Now I'm stuck with this box until the next time I need to send priority mail. What else can I do with it ? Don't want to violate any federal laws ! Wonder if the same people watch to see if you remove those tags from your pillows ? There is even a toll free number to call to schedule pick up.
Another service they provide is the flat rate deal. I see it advertised on television all the time. I'm a little confused though. I know the United States Postal Service is a business that is supposed to make a profit but their methods seem a little strange. We don't care about the weight (within certain limits) we are going to charge you this much. Airlines are always complaining about the weight and adjusting fares due to fuel consumption why would it be any different for the Postal service ? I suppose they are just trying to compete with the other carriers. Free enterprise is a wonderful thing.
I think using the Postal service provides some of the federal protections we have all been told. Messing with the mail is a federal offense. Does the same hold true if shipped by another carrier ? I don't know. The mail always goes through. Rain,hail,sleet nor snow shall stead the carrier from his route or something like that. That went away awhile go though. Still,I guess I'm a little old fashioned. I like going to the Post Office and having a little one on one interaction with the Post Mistress. I've known her for years now. Not on a personal level but as the Postmistress. It's comforting. I feel like I can trust my mail with her. It may be silly but it is somehow reassuring. Like visiting an old friend.

1 comment:

  1. My story about the postal service: Was standing in line behind a man who had a package to mail. The woman said "You need to put tape on this!" He said "Don't you have a little tape you could put on it?" "No-we're not UPS! You can buy it over there..."
    And that, in a nutshell, is why the postal service is going bankrupt. they can blame email and FAXes and whatever else they want but the bottom line is: no service!

    ReplyDelete