Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Just Sayin'

I was returning from the grandsons little league game and it was dark outside. The game didn't start until six pm and it was past eight before it was done. In fact, the game had to be called on account of darkness. We won by a run. But anyway, it was dark. Now, I don't get out often after dark. Seems funny somehow but it is the truth. Usually I'm at home by six or so and watching the news or wasting time on facebook. Along the way we pass two cemeteries. As we went past the first I noticed a lot of small lights dotted the grounds. Huh,that's new to me. A few minutes later we pass the other cemetery, and I notice the same thing.
I'm guessing this is a new trend. Placing the solar powered lights next to the headstones. I would guess like the eternal flame burning for Kennedy. From the street it looks kinda eerie and spooky like. I thought of Halloween. It is definitely different and strange looking to me.
In the last few years I have also noted the "RIP" decals and bumper stickers. I just think they are tacky. Sorry if I'm offending anyone here but I don't want my memorial to be a bumper sticker. And please don't squeeze a decal on the rear window next to your Nascar sticker either. Once I even saw a person wearing a ball cap with a "RIP" memorial. It does seem to be a popular trend.
I'm sure the sentiment is genuine. I'm sure they are just trying to memorialize their loved ones. Still.every time I see one I can't help but think of Jeff Foxworthy. If your patio light and grave memorial light are the same thing,you might be a redneck. Same for the decals and bumper stickers.
Customs do change. These customs are not for me. Whatever brings comfort to the grieving family is fine.
Don't even ask about the crosses on the side of the road. I'm just sayin'..

No comments:

Post a Comment