Friday, April 15, 2011

It has Begun

Well,it has begun. Yesterday we mowed the lawn for the first time this year. There is no stopping now until the late fall. Once you make the initial cut resign yourself to performing this operation at least once a week. Sometimes twice in a week is required.
First we gathered up all the fallen branches . Walk around the ground like a General surveying the battlefield. Pick up the toys left lying about and any other debris. Prepare to mow. Having checked out the mower earlier it is time to mount up. Ah, the smell of fresh cut grass. A refreshing smell ,the smell of spring. Why hasn't someone made a candle smell like that ? Back and forth,back and forth. It is not a very large yard so it really doesn't take long. To the shed to get the weed wacker. Have to put string in it and gas it up. Rummaging around to find that string. Ah,there it is. A few quick pulls on the starting line and off it goes.
Had forgotten how the trimmings get all over your shoes and pant legs. That's annoying. The weed eating is the worst part. Trying to only cut the weeds and not adjacent flowers is a bit frustrating. And then the string doesn't want to feed out. Have to shut it off and fool around with it. Ok,start it up again and continue.
Having accomplished the cutting and trimming it is time to clean up the equipment and begin trimming the bushes around the house. Hedge clippers, pruning shears and hand held clippers are required. No problem,just got a new set on sale. Why did I plant these holly trees ? Trimming them I'm always getting stuck. Stupid holly trees. Now I just noticed I have what appears to be poison ivy on my hand. Man, I forgot about those plants ! Spring is not turning out as I remember.
The trimming done and all raked up it is time for the final chore. My favorite part is burning the branches,leaves and other combustible rubbish. I enjoy feeding the fire. Listening to the snap and crackle, the smell of the smoke. It is primordial. Living in town I only build a small fire. The fire is the size of those round barbecue grills. In fact I build the fire inside the top of one of those. It is even enjoyable sawing the branches to length. Gives you that outdoorsy feel. I feel like Tom Hanks. I have made fire ! What was that movie ?
Yes, this weekly ritual will be followed,sans the burning,until late fall. It is a love /hate relationship. Love the way it looks when it is done but hate being a slave to it. Would be great if I could just hire a groundskeeper. Maybe next year. It has been confirmed, spring is here ! Got a few blisters, smell like smoke, my shoes are now green and I have poison ivy ! I'm sure glad winter is over. Summer is looming large on the horizon.

No comments:

Post a Comment