Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Worry Free Light

Yesterday I thought I would try to do my part to save the entire planet. I purchased one of those CFL light bulbs. You know the curly Q ones that are fluorescent. They do contain a trace amount of mercury but utilizing the proper disposal method, it should be safe enough. The energy savings should pay me back for this investment in no time. Only 9 watts of energy used and it equals a 40 watt bulb in lumen's emitted. It's like magic.
I read the package carefully. This product is made in China. Probably why there is mercury in it and the cost stays low. China does not abide by the same rules in handling hazardous materials as the United States. Then reading a little further,exciting information ! This product is guaranteed for nine years ! That's right. It clearly states right on the package if this product is found to be defective in materials and/or workmanship within the next nine years I get a free replacement. Or,barring that, it will be repaired. That means I have until April of 2020 to enjoy this product,worry free. Seeing as how I have an initial investment of $2.29 that is a real load off my mind. A toll free number to call in the unlikely event a failure should occur is also included.
I made a mental note to save that receipt. Proof of purchase is required as well as proof of the date of sale.
Thinking I'd better put that receipt with the others that I have. I bought a weed whacker once that came with free replacement blades for life ! The whacker died but I'm still eligible for blades for life !
There are others but it has been a number of years now so I forget. Some products come with a limited lifetime warranty. Mostly limited to how long the company stays in business. I'm thinking it might be interesting to call up one of those companies. Hello, I bought your light bulb just five years ago and now it isn't working. I think it may have been defective in materials or workmanship. The response should be a hoot. Would they take you seriously ? If I'm the one answering the call I would be hard pressed to even act like I cared. I'd probably just send you five bucks and tell you to buy two more. That will hold you for another ten years at least and by then I'll be retired.
Most of these guarantees,warranties and promises crack me up. Freshness guaranteed or your money back.
Ever take a bag of chips back to the store ? Proof of purchase required. Keep those receipts ! Lifetime guarantee. Don't think I'll be returning much after I'm dead anyway. Guess my widow could though but only if she actually purchased the product. Free replacement for life,just pay for shipping and handling. Handling is very expensive you know. We warranty this product to be free from defects in materials and workmanship. It's plastic and assembled correctly. If it isn't ,ship it back and we will send you one that is.
I guess I'm a pessimist. Nothing lasts forever. There is usually a catch. There are no guarantees in life. When I spent that $2.29 I took a chance. It's a gamble that it will last ,but a gamble I'm willing to take, to save the planet. I'll be saving that receipt and putting that toll free number in my contacts list just in case though.

No comments:

Post a Comment