Monday, April 25, 2011

In Laws

I was thinking about my in laws. Isn't it wonderful how they become a part of the family ? Starts out with you having doubts about them. Does he/she really love and care for my child ? They usually get scrutinized pretty closely. Their families were checking you out too. Thing is ,in most cases, everyone is polite.
Smiles,handshakes and good to meet you all around. As the relationship between the primary parties progresses,so too, does your relationship with the potential in law. Throughout the engagement and the wedding everyone usually remains polite,and accommodating.
Soon,before you are even aware of it he/she becomes a member of the family. Sometimes it is only the primary person and sometimes the whole extended family becomes one. In my experience I have been blessed with daughter in laws. Now,I have always preferred the company of women so that works out great for me. One of these young ladies lives right here in town and I see her often. She has given me wonderful grandchildren and my son couldn't he happier. What more could you want ? The other one lives a good distance away and does visit occasionally. She also gave me a wonderful Grand daughter.
Being a man, and not liking to throw round the "L" word a lot, I would have to say I have developed a strong affection for them both. They have become like my own daughters. I watch out for them with the same zeal and protective feelings. I think both of my sons have made excellent choices for themselves.
The thing about in laws though is this, there are like your immediate family except you are polite to them.
As a general rule you temper your statements to them and consider their feelings more so than your own siblings. We all say," they are just like family" and that is true; to a point. If we are honest with ourselves we all know we interact just a little differently with the in laws. A little more reserved in our judgements(at least to their face) and a little more tolerate. This isn't always the case however and that is when you get your Jerry Springer show candidates.
I was thinking that it would be a nicer place if we all treated our siblings and other family members in the same fashion. If we gave those closest to us the same consideration. Someone said,familiarity breeds contempt, and I think that is a little harsh but there is a nugget or two to be gleaned from that statement.
Another axiom comes to mind as well : If you don't have anything nice to say,don't say anything at all.
To expand upon that idea wouldn't it be a much better world if we all treated each other like in laws ?
Even when we aren't so crazy about them or what they are doing we remain polite and temper our responses. We act civilized !
I indeed have been blessed. I've got great in laws. We all get along just fine with one another. I feel comfortable around them. I would not hesitate to express my opinion on any subject with them. They are like the rest of my family,only polite ! I wouldn't trade my family or in laws for anything though. In laws begin with the wife and as with a wife too much honesty can be a bad thing. " Does this dress make me look fat and do you like the way my hair is done " are questions that are best answered with a tempered approach. Discretion being the better part of valor.
In case either of you guys read this, I Love You.

No comments:

Post a Comment