Thursday, April 28, 2011

Finding Home

I have talked about being "from away." Now that I've got it set in my mind that Greensboro,Md is my new home I think I need to find a church. I have been to my daughter in laws church and another Methodist church here in town. Both places are,"the house of the lord" and therefore warm and inviting. The problem lies in the fact I went to the Episcopal  church growing up. I am used to the pomp and pageantry. I must confess that I have not been to an Episcopal church service in a number of years. I'm equally certain there have been changes.
We are most comfortable with the familiar. In my home Church I always knew just when to stand,kneel and sit. I knew the proper responses. It was like being in your own home. Comfortable ,and you knew where everything was. The people around you were all familiar. They are so and so parents. He is the butcher at the store,etc. The hymns sang and prayer said, all familiar.
Church service as I knew it was a rather formal affair. There were rules written and unwritten. Rule number one, women cover there heads in church. Whether it be a hat or scarf their heads were covered. Rule number two, no shorts,jeans,tank tops or tee shirts ! Appropriate attire please. You were quiet in church,except for the required responses and singing of the hymns. There was a set pattern and you followed that to the letter.
Over the years Church has become a less formal thing I think. The dress code has definitely been relaxed. Organs have been replaced by Guitars in some cases. My guess is it is all an attempt to attract the younger people to attend church. Noble sentiments and a lofty goal. I enjoy more,the formality of it all. And another thing is I'm used to a Reverend with a collar. An ordained minister. That is what I grew up with and what I am comfortable with. I'm quite sure the Pastors,those unordained,are just as firm in their belief as ordained minister are in theirs. And no were in the Bible does it say you have to be an ordained minister to preach. Still,for me I prefer a collar.
Greensboro does not have an Episcopal church. The closet one is about eight miles away or so and is only open for services on certain Sundays and Holy Days. It is an old wooden structure and I'm guessing there is not enough parishioners to support it being open full time. The next closest Episcopal church is another ten miles or so from there. I have not attended services at either of these. I shall make a point to do so.
Joining a church is like joining a family. It can be very intimidating. Some members will welcome you with open arms and a genuine desire for you to become a member. Some will resent you and look upon you with suspicion. You are an outsider and it is not always easy to penetrate the inner circle.
I used to attend church regularly. I enjoyed going. The reason I liked going so much was I was going to see a friend. I went to "his" house. His house was warm and comfortable. I knew what was expected of me.
The Altar at St.Lukes
Now, I don't need a new friend,he is unchanged,but I can't seem to find his house. I know he lives around here somewhere !

No comments:

Post a Comment