Thursday, April 15, 2021

what a mess

  I grew up in a small town, a rural small town that enjoyed the benefits of tourism. Yes, we complained about those city folks that swarmed out to our town to the summer months. No one was complaining about the money they brought with them though, at least not at that time they weren't. As a result my little town did quite well financially for the most part. It wasn't something I was conscious of  I thought every town was like ours. I have often compared my childhood to growing up in Mayberry. There are some parallels that could be drawn accurately. I was free to roam the town on my bicycle without undue worry on my patents part. The adults in the town did watch out for all the kids and pretty much knew who belonged to whom. They may not have known your name but they would say, isn't that Bens' boy? Yes, misdeeds were reported back and you were always guilty. We had a small police force. We all knew the officers. I remember being taken to the police station as a kid, either with the school or some organization, and shown the jail cell. I was informed that is were you will go if you break the law. Made an impression. But I was also told that if you needed help they were the people to contact. I was assured you shouldn't be afraid of the police they were there to protect and serve. Well, as long as you weren't violating the law that is, then you had best watch out. 
  I provide that information as context. It is where I come from in regards to law enforcement. It was a time when the police walked the beat, the community knew them and respected them as other people in the community. They were not viewed as the enemy. They were, as Mr. Rogers taught us, people in the neighborhood. Today it seems like they live in a different neighborhood altogether. Even in the current small rural town I live in today you seldom see them. They don't walk around the town. It could be that I'm just an old guy that they are paying no attention too, and I'm not really looking for them either. The reason they aren't paying attention to me is easy to understand, I'm not doing anything to draw their attention. I'm not looking for them because I have no need for them at this time. If they do their job well I shouldn't have a need for them to intervene. Like the fire department, you have to have them but you hope you don't ever need them. It's true you never know what you have until it's gone.
  Today the big agenda is police reform. If you listen to the news every police force in America is a racist organization targeting blacks. The overall percentage of white police officers is about 62% according to the most recent data. That means 38% are not. So what reform are we talking about? Some want to just do away with the police altogether, hey one of your elected representatives has proposed that, think about that for a moment. Others would handcuff the officers, limiting their powers to yelling, well asking you politely, to stop. The state of Maryland has repealed the Police Officers bill of rights. leaving them open to litigation for doing their jobs. Will they now have to buy "insurance" like Doctors to protect themselves? Maryland has created an "oversight" board of civilians that will judge whether the officers actions were correct and justified. They don't have to have any particular knowledge or skill set in policing to be on the committee. How would you like it if I got to judge your performance in whatever occupation you have? And not just judge you, remove you from that position! You're fired because I don't think you are teaching the class right.
  I have no answers for all of that. I have just watched as the police went from walking the beat in uniform, neatly dressed, shoes shiny and presenting a friendly and professional appearance to looking like a storm trooper! They make Batman's utility belt look like a joke! The amount of equipment they are required to carry on their person is just crazy! Most are also required to wear a body camera to record their every word, every interaction they have. How would you feel about that? You are expected to rush in to any situation fully prepared, under extreme stress and act all calm, cool and collected. Hey, it's your job right? You are facing a suspect pointing what appears to be a gun at you, but you should ask first, is that a real gun, is it loaded, do you intend to shot it at me? Do you have any mental issues that I should know about? I should just stand there patiently waiting for your responses. If you answer yes, to any of those questions I should then politely ask you to surrender. I should issue a stern warning, if you do not surrender I will be forced to raise my voice, I may even use force! 
  I find all of this very unsettling, as should any reasonable adult in America today. How has it gotten to this point? Our police force have turned into combat troops. The disrespect for the law is evident. If you don't break the law you will not have any interaction with the police. I have broken the law in the past and as a result interaction with the police. Now I realize I'm a white guy, so not the target, but I didn't resist, I didn't argue, I did as I was instructed to do. Oh I wasn't happy about any of it, I had my excuses at the ready for why I should be allowed to break the law without being held accountable. I tried to explain to no avail. As a result I received my ticket and was released. I paid the ticket and the case was resolved. Had I been summoned to court, I would certainly have appeared before the judge. Have I just been lucky for 67 years? Oh I  guess some will say so, my privilege keeping me alive. Personally I don't think that is it at all. I think it is a result of something simple. I was taught to respect and obey the commands of the police. I was also aware that if, as a child, I did not I would be sent to "reform" school! Yes, I would undergo reform if I didn't obey the law! The Police didn't require reform, they knew the law, that was their job. Criminals, those breaking the law require reform! But we went soft on all of that, citing our "rights" as an excuse to act unlawfully. And here we are today, what a mess.          

No comments:

Post a Comment