Saturday, April 3, 2021

the social battlefield

  You know it's a funny thing this social media, one minute it's all fun and games, and the next venomous rhetoric abounds. I suspect that, to a great degree, that is the result of little personal accountability. That is to say, face to face repercussions. People do tend to be "braver" when protected by distance. Many people will also quickly change their view when confronted. Over the years I have seen that many times. The best way to describe that being, say that to my face. In print that is described as yellow journalism, and apparently there are many with a masters degree in that. mostly working for the New York Times and MSN. Well it is what sells best and that is the reason for that. Newspapers do have to fight to stay viable, and that is the result. It's a sad reality, but the majority of people just want to be entertained. Isn't that why we enjoyed recess so much while in grade school? I know some that majored in that, even through high school and college! I have to say, it shows. The truth isn't always entertaining , also the reason we invent stories. Man has done that before the written word ever existed. It's my thinking the first stories were tales told about when others couldn't see what the truth was. May have been a cave man sticking his wooden spear in a wooly mammoth! I kill beast! Truth was, the beast died a natural death and he found it. But it makes a good story anyway. 
 I see a lot of unfriending going on. What is that all about? It is the attempted removal of a person from your world. It's my feeling that is what the groups are all about and always have been. Nothing new really, in school they were called cliques, clubs, and organizations. We couldn't make those people disappear but we could exclude them. I can't say I haven't done the same, I have blocked two people from my social media page over the last eleven years. Just tired of listening to them is all. They are out of the club! I do have to laugh at myself in that regard but look at it this way, I'll allow myself that much. I'll work on it, no I won't. I can't help but notice the ones doing that the most often are the ones shouting about being inclusive. When you don't agree with them, you're excluded. Funny how that works isn't it? Still many are willing to join the fight as long as they remain protected. To me those folks are like  parade ground Patriots, love to talk about their exploits, tell the tales. They seek recognition by association, I wore the uniform. Others gather different things as proof, educational degrees, job titles, political position, or wealth. Any of those things can be used as ammunition on the social battlefield. I'm better than you and here is the proof. 
 Now I have to admit I do enjoy prodding the opposition. It's a guilty pleasure of mine. I can't just stroll by some posts without leaving a truth bomb or two. Yes, it's true that those truths are my truths, but the truth is the truth even when you don't like the truth, and that is the truth. It's how truth works. Truth is everyone has an opinion, and it isn't the truth until everyone agrees on that opinion. If I quit voicing my opinion, you will never agree with my opinion, and my opinion remains just an opinion, in your opinion. That's how opinion works. Rarely do I get tired of hearing anyone's' opinion. They may get tired of not changing my opinion however, I can't help that. That's when they retreat, leave the battlefield altogether and seek shelter. Shelter in place is what they call that these days. I remember when it was called cowering in the corner. I won't do that, I'll keep speaking my truth with the hope that you will change your opinion to match mine, then we agree on the truth. Funny how we seldom talk about the truth though, we do tend to concentrate on opinions. Maybe we should all just tell the truth of it from the get go. Now there's a thought.
 Now understand all of this is just the musings of a graduate of life university. My education has been my experiences so far in this world. I've got opinions on just about every subject you can think of. I will tell you the truth every time, even when my opinion may be different from the majority. In my opinion, I'm right. That's how it works. I'm certain you feel the same way, that's how that works too.   

3 comments:

  1. OH~~ yes, yellow journalism like FOX news reports all the time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't ever retreat from your opinion. You blocked me because you weren't fair enough to listen to mine OR/AND other's opinions because they differ from your 'alternative facts.' THAT is the truth, not your "Yellow Journalism".

    ReplyDelete
  3. ps...Your truth means little to very few, because it's not truth at all. Not my opinion, but fact!

    ReplyDelete