Friday, April 23, 2021

anecdotal testimony

  I made a silly little post on Facebook about a coffee pot incident. It was meaningless, an anecdote like I used to read in the Readers Digest. Do they still publish the Digest? I haven't gone looking but I don't remember seeing one in a while. The last one I did see was the "large type" edition for seniors. But, I'm getting off track a bit. So, I posted that little story and the comments just flowed in. I enjoyed reading them and everyone seemed to be having a moment. I say a moment because for just a few moments there was no politics, no bemoaning the human condition or any of that. For a little while social media was performing according to its' original intent, people being social. Although according to the story of how Facebook really began they weren't being very social rather it was more of a bullying thing. Ah, but we can rewrite history to suit the current narrative any time we like so there's that. Anyhow, I did enjoy the friendly banter. There is a commercial on television, not sure what they are advertising, about becoming your parents. It's a bit of a good natured jab at seniors in my view. Perhaps a bit condescending if you take it that way, In that commercial they say, no one cares what you had for breakfast and the waiter doesn't need to know your name. The implication being, both of those "shares" would be old fashioned, whereas I see that as being social. It's what we used to call conversation or light banter. A means of communicating with your fellow man without being confrontational. I still believe it is a great concept and practice it often.
 I do believe communication is a bit tougher using only the written word. Body language is very important in any conversation. It is second nature to us. That is, of course lacking on Facebook and other social sites. I also believe it varies in degrees based on where you grew up and your ethnicity. Hey the Italians are noted for talking with their hands, waving them about. When I went to Italy and drank my first real expresso I knew the reason why. That stuff will charge your batteries for sure. But certain areas of the country use their hands and facial expressions more than others. Those stoic new Englanders often have a dry sense of humor and little body movements, their faces remaining bland. Sarcasm is their stock in trade. I come from that background and can tell you for a fact sarcasm doesn't work well on Facebook. It's the strangest thing, if people go to a nightclub where they have to pay admission they love it when the comedian uses sarcasm. They will giggle and burst out in laughter when they are picked out of the crowd for scrutiny. Try that on Facebook. Maybe it is just that in person people are a bit more nervous, more reserved than when they are behind a keyboard. Their keyboard instantly becomes a weapon and they will wield it. 
 I don't know I just wish there were more posts like that. I do enjoy hearing the little stories of people and their misadventures. Not the stories where they are victims eliciting sympathy from others, or cajoling others to post something in response, to show their solidarity. No, I enjoy the light banter, the sharing of memories and such. Posts without any deep philosophical meaning or ethical dilemmas. Those posts are best enjoyed with those that want to discuss that stuff, not the ones that just want confrontation. Therein lies the problem with social media. Lacking body language and the inflection in tone comments are often taken as confrontation rather than discussion. People are prone to assuming a defensive position, I'm no exception to that. It's human nature, more natural I think when you are separated by distance. 
 Anecdotes they are called and I really enjoy them. Tall tales, fish stories, or whatever else you call them I am usually amused. Thinking about that I am reminded of a guy I once served on ship with. In the military everyone goes by their last name and his was Hill. I don't know his Christian name but he was king of the anecdotes or tall tales if you prefer. That is, of course, dependent upon whether you believe him or not. To say he had an active imagination or a penchant for elaborating on a story would be a great understatement. I will say he was amusing and seldom was his stories challenged. I think that was simply because his stories were so over the top. But, like I said, he was amusing. Behind his back he was called Hero Hill. LOL Yes it was a kinder time back then I believe. Maybe it was simply because we were all there in close proximity 24/7 sometimes for months. Far more confrontation took place on shore than on ship. Could be it was as simple as accountability. On ship you would be held immediately accountable whereas there was some leeway on shore. I don't know. Anyway, anecdotes is what I'm talking about, I think we need more of those on Facebook. Or is that that we already have too much of that?      

1 comment:

  1. Reader's Digest is alive and well and in our mailbox like clock work. You need to get out more, Ben....into the NOWADAYS, leave the past in the past.

    ReplyDelete