Tuesday, April 13, 2021

what is taught

  I saw an article where the author was complaining about all the racist imagery in Disney films and cartoons. Having watched a great deal of those, in fact having grown up with them, I have to say, I didn't see that. But, that I have discovered is because I'm not "woke." Well that inspired this thought, "if you look hard enough you will see just about anything you want to see." It seems to me that is what is happening these days, people looking to see what they want to see. Now there is no denying that the older Disney stuff was full of racial stereotypes. The thing is, they were characters. Characters in a movie or a cartoon. A reflection of real life? Yes, in an exaggerated way. It wasn't intended as a disparagement, it's intent was to amuse. Did that perpetuate stereotypes? Yes I suppose you could say that it did. Still we must remember that all comedy has a base in truth, that's what makes it funny. When I was little all Hobo's were white. Elmer Fudd was white, Mr. Magoo was white and all the Stooges were white. Never once was I offended by those characters. Guess I just wasn't looking hard enough. Or was it that there was no advantage in seeing that? That is what we have to ask. Truth be told when I was growing up my town was full of characters, and they came in all colors, sizes, shapes and nationalities. It was those "characters" that gave personality to the town. In a strange sort of way they were terms of endearment. Call it pity, call it disgust, call it ignorance, call it whatever you want but the "characters' were known. Sometimes a source of amusement, sometimes a source of aggravation. After leaving home I discovered the world is full of characters.
  I understand that if I were having this conversation with any of these "woke" people I would be immediately labeled a racist. I would be accused of not understanding anything about any of that. That's because to be "woke" I have to see the racism and all the other "ism's" out there. It's supposed to motivate me to give whatever "privilege's" I have, mainly possessions and money, to all the "ism's" out there. I should throw my full support behind those folks to elevate them in society to an equal status, to an equal position as myself, while they enjoy being "special" people because of their "ism." After doing all of that, I'll be woke. I need to understand that Fog Horn leg horn was a bully, and Mr. Magoo was visually handicapped, certainly nothing to laugh about. As far as Disney. Well Walt made the first big amusement park for "children of all ages" as was advertised. There was no discrimination about who could go to the park. I would say children didn't care or notice any of that. Children have to be taught about that. Disney was, and is a business like all others. It will tailor its' products to suit the current market. As a result Disney will have to become "woke" as well. It's just business.
  As for me, I feel it is important to teach the children about humor as much as about social consciousness. You have to teach them to laugh at themselves. We all have our little quirks, our little eccentricities that others laugh about behind our backs. Yes, it's true even those that love us. If we find out we may be offended. Funny how that works isn't it? But my point is I was taught to laugh at myself, to see the humor in certain things, and know the difference between good natured humor and being mean. I guess you could call it a toughening of the skin. Getting thick skinned it is sometimes called. I call it being aware. You can be aware and not be offended. Yes, that's possible. Today it seems if you are white you are a racist, born that way, nothing you can do about it. Mention race, you're a racist. Well I'm annoyed with all of that, but not offended by it. I be "woke" but white "woke" which is different I guess. It's "woke" without the demand for compensation. You know all this racism stuff is like a sore, keep picking at it and it will fester. It needs time to heal itself, we were getting close there for a while.         

No comments:

Post a Comment