Friday, May 24, 2019

showing respect

 When I was growing up I was taught to show respect to your elders. All your elders. I know sounds like an old fashioned idea these days. It's like I would never call an older person by their first name. In my part of the country they were either Mr or Mrs, or if close to the family, Aunt and Uncle. No, they weren't related but that is how you would address those folks. But back in the distant past we only interacted with those people in person. Oh, we may answer the phone and call for our parents, Uncle George wants to talk to you, but that was about it. And when you were speaking about those folks to other adults you had best use the proper form of address as well. You would quickly be corrected, put in your place, as we used to say.
 As I scrolled down my Facebook wall and read some comments I became aware of something. The respect your elders rule doesn't seem to apply on social media. I read comments directed from young folks to elders that are extremely disrespectful. It's almost as though there is no recognition of age. Now, I realize there are those that really don't know, hard to say with strangers, but I'm talking about the ones that do know. I know who some of these young folks are, and they know me. Makes no difference to them whatsoever. I'm not complaining when it is done to me, I'm just making an observation. These kids do seem a bit bold! Some are that way in person as well. But whatever the case I can't help but notice these changes in society. I can't help but think if they were taught more respect as children, they would grow up to be more respectful adults. 
 It is a different time I'm well aware of that. The information age some have called it. The kids today certainly receive a great deal more information than we did. I distinctly remember being told, it's none of your business, mind your own business, and when you are old enough I'll tell you. And they were all acceptable responses to your inquiries. Children were to be seen and not heard. You would be summoned if your presence was required. 
 When it comes to Facebook I suppose the question is really, how old do you have to be? The terms of use agreement states 18 years of age. I know many that are not. But I'm not thinking about that part. I was wondering how old do you have to be before you are old enough? I still address those folks I knew as children as Mr. Mrs. Aunt or Uncle in that fashion to this very day. I never outgrew respect. That is what I believe anyway. My school teachers would still be Miss Edwards or Mr Ryan should I meet them today. Yeah, I know, they would be quite old by now but that's not the point here. Now speaking about them to my contemporaries I may use their first name, just as we did behind their backs all those years ago, but never to their face. Still when telling my own children or grandchildren about those folks the formal title is applied. The reason is a simple one, a show of respect. 
 I don't know perhaps it's a little thing but perhaps it isn't. These young folks today are presented with adult information at a very early age. As a result they often discuss adult themes. The problem with that is the lack of context or experience. Information is of little value without the ability to process that information. I don't want to use phrases like, back in my day, but it's true. Back in my day you were not exposed to adult themes until it was felt you were capable of handling them. In many cases you were never told a thing! You did have to figure some things out for yourself. Personally I believe that is the best way to learn, figure it out. If you are constantly told how to think, or act, you will be dependent upon that. The very reason we learned respect as children, and the very reason many are not these days! Perhaps allowing children to be children, shielding them from adult issues, and forcing them to act on their own wasn't a bad thing. Perhaps parental intervention into everything they do isn't a good thing. Perhaps parents showing their children how to respect one another was beneficial. Perhaps parents showing that respect was the key to it all. 

No comments:

Post a Comment