Thursday, May 9, 2019

Old friends and old memories

 Today I'm looking forward to seeing an old friend. Following high school we both went into the service, he an Army man and myself the Navy. I'm only seen him a few times since. Yes, we exchanged Christmas cards but not much more. Occasionally I would hear of his fortunes and misfortunes and I'm certain he heard of mine. It's always that way with old friends, other friends will report on those things. The accuracy of the report is often questionable. It will be interesting to hear some of the story, from the horse's mouth , so to speak. It is amazing how little I actually know about his life considering our long friendship. Well, they say true friends can go years without speaking and pick the conversation right back up. I believe that is true. I don't feel nervous or like I'm meeting a stranger. No today I'm hoping to see Bill.
 Now I realize I will be visiting the past. That's what old friends do in these situations, relive the past.The old stories will be told once again, memories shared. We did share some good times. I have a few memories that I'm certain will amuse him as I'm certain he has a perspective that will amuse me. We were both there, but the filter of time will have altered things a bit. Should be amusing. I'll be interested to hear of his family, his children and what his life has been like. It'll be like seeing how things turned out. It's not the end of the story by any means, but there are quite a few chapters I need to read! If you know what I mean. The best part about old friends is you don't need to be concerned about being judged. Those folks already know you and so there are no surprises in the things that really matter. I don't believe our basic " essence " has changed over the years. We are still who we were, just more seasoned, dare I say matured? Well, we will have to see about that won't we?
 I am flattered that Bill has chosen to stop by, taking a detour from his travels, just to meet with me. It's a comfort to know that you are still thought of. Is it sentiment or curiosity? Does it make a difference? No, it makes no difference whatsoever, what is important is that he has chosen to stop by. To question motivations isn't a wise thing, although we are always being told about that. Questioning motivations can cast doubts. I have no doubt that Bill just wants to visit with me, as I do with him.   An Opportunity has presented itself and we will take advantage of that. There is nothing more to it. You know some folks worry about meeting their old friends after years of separation. They may be concerned about their material possessions, their careers, what have they accomplished in life. The worry being their pride. As for me, I'm just proud to call Bill a friend, that is enough. I'm not a bit concerned with anything else. Life is far too short to be concerned with such things, it is the friends we make along the road that count. Even when that friend lives mostly in your past, it is always a pleasure to visit them. I have visited Bill many times over the years, he just wasn't here. For that reason I feel secure and comfortable. Old friends and old memories are a comfort in a changing world. Just look at us now! 

No comments:

Post a Comment