Sunday, May 12, 2019

in the rear view

 Yesterday morning I was thinking about my grandson graduating from high school and all that entailed. It is the end of a childhood. And so I was feeling a little bit pensive about the whole situation when my granddaughter calls. Can I come over, are you guys hone? Yes, we're here and of course you can come over. Grandma and I are wondering if she is hungry, that's usually the reason for a visit. But, it's Saturday and she can drive now, maybe she just wants to drive the car. I remember making all kind of excuses to drive after I first got my license. So, that's probably it.
 Some time went by and we began to worry, Grandparents do that a lot, and sent her a text. I thought , in my day I would have had to mail it and wait a few days! She answered right away and assured us everything was fine and she would be here soon. True to her word she arrived, with her mother in tow. I say, in tow, because mom was a passenger this time. Yes, a passenger because Morgan had purchased a car! That's correct, my granddaughter has her own car. Now, I was proud of her when she got that drivers license. I thought it was cute when her parents allowed her to borrow their car. Yes, a sense of pride is what you would call it, me feeling I had contributed to all that in some way.  But now, now it struck me that she had a car of her own, she was free! OMG, my granddaughter has a car of her own, that she drive anywhere, at anytime, with anyone! What? That doesn't sound right. Yes,yes, I know there are restrictions but they are only temporary. And it is that thought that entered my mind, temporary, like childhood. My grandson is going off to college and now my granddaughter is driving her own car! I remember all too well buying her a bicycle and teaching her how to ride that, this can't be right.
 The more I got thinking about all of that, the more I came to a realization. I am a bit of a chauvinist! At least when it comes to granddaughters I am. I didn't think much about my grandson driving around on his own. I felt pride for his accomplishment and that he would no longer be dependent upon others to get to work or school. Yes, that was all good. But my granddaughter; now I've got a different view about that altogether. There could be boys in that car. I'm not liking the idea of that. Yes I immediately placed trust in my grandson driving his own vehicle everywhere. Heck I even encouraged him. You can drive on the interstate, it'll be fine. You'll be fine and get used to driving in traffic and the weather. My immediate reaction with the granddaughter is one of concern. Why? Because I'm a bit of a chauvinist! A young lady shouldn't be out riding around in her own car unsupervised! Doesn't seem right. And then I have to laugh at myself. I'm just being silly. This is 2019 after all. The times they are a'changin'.
 I am happy for her. I remember the excitement of getting your first car. It's a milestone of some importance. My first car was given to me by an uncle. All I had to do was a minor repair. I still have fond memories of that car and Morgan will always remember her first car. I'll try not to worry about her out driving about. I've promised to show her how to change the tire, check the oil and jump start it should that become necessary. I  know she will most likely never do any of those things but I feel obligated to show her. Chauvinistic? Nah, just protective. Men are supposed to be protective of the womenfolks. That's what I was taught. It's just the natural order of things. And that is what bothers me most, the natural order of things. I don't want to think about that. Guess I'm afraid I'll just be seen in the rear view from now on.

Morgan and her new car. 

No comments:

Post a Comment