Tuesday, October 10, 2017

what I think

As I write these blogs I see a theme developing. What I am writing about most of the time are fundamental changes. It is in those changes that I become uneasy or confused. I'm guessing that is what happens to most of us. It's not a bad thing, just an awareness. Is it conviction or stubbornness ? Is it moral fortitude ? What is it about these changes that are so unsettling ? The answer is obvious, a change in the fundamentals , changes the whole game. When the rules change, so too, the game. I have seen a lot of rule changes thus far. It make me wonder just where I am in the game. The biggest question is whether I'm winning or losing ? That is what we all want to know. No one wants to be a loser !
 How do we define winning and losing ? It is by the achievement of a goal. When it comes to life, what is the goal ? Personal happiness would have to be that goal. The rules are what restrict our movements aren't they ? Yes, they are. Whether those roles stem from your personal morality or you are merely compliant with the rules of man, they do restrict. The society in which we live also imposes rules. Over time the rules change and that is what I notice. I'm not the first. Many people far more learned than myself have written treatises on this very subject. I'm just a simple man with simple ideas. That last is not intended as a self serving statement, rather as an explanation. You see, I haven't read a great deal about all this stuff I write about. I just figure you all could read that stuff for yourself if you were interested. For that reason I just write what I think. I really don't seek or require validation from others regarding my thoughts. I do enjoy it when I find a quote from someone especially learned or famous that agrees with me. But I'm not kidding myself, you can find such quotes and validation for just about every view one chooses to take. These views come and go in favor. Fundamental changes in philosophy and actions.
 I do believe it is the expectations of society that drive us forward more than any other thing. That is why we make excuses for not complying with society's rules. It is an attempt to change those rules. The rules are restrictive. Yes, the majority of us will cheat given the opportunity. We want to win ! Winners get to change the rules. There is more than one way to skin a cat. What a strange idiom that is. Are all the ways correct ?
 What is it that you want ? Do you want to fulfill the expectations of society or find happiness ? Do we have to choose between the two ? As with most everything it is a compromise. Our personal happiness, we are taught, is not as important as satisfying the expectations of others. That is true because if we seek personal happiness without having first fulfilled those expectations, society will judge us. In short, we will have broken the rules. The only time that doesn't apply is if we become very wealthy or famous. Those two grant you immediate success in the eyes of the society. I have noticed over the years it doesn't seem to grant personal happiness quite as quickly. The enigma for me in that situation is, if they are doing what they love and are very successful at it, why aren't they happy ? Is it because they feel they haven't followed all the rules ?
 I doubt that, rarely do we feel guilt for what we get away with. That only happens when we become conscious of our conscience. The fundamental shift I am watching right now is the dismissal of the rules altogether. Everything must change ! We call that " progress. " Progress by definition is just moving forward toward a goal or destination. Progress implies something better. That isn't always the truth. What is the goal or destination ? The answer is different for everyone. No, that's not right. We all want to be happy is the correct response. It is only in the manner we achieve that happiness that separates us. Really not much changes under the sun , to coin an old idiom. It is only when you live long enough to notice the changes that they begin to bother you.
 What does all this rambling on have to do with anything ? In the big picture , very little. For me, in my little world it is just a diversion. I feel the need to explain. Does that need stem from guilt ? Could be. All the big physiatrists have offered their thoughts on this. I honestly don't think they have any more insight to what people are thinking than I do. In my opinion a good bartender is equal to a good therapist. Both issue advice, opinions and mind altering substances. One has read and studied a whole bunch of what other people thought and wrote. The bartender usually just listens. Can't see much difference other than cost. Well that's what I think. 

No comments:

Post a Comment