Sunday, October 22, 2017

Let me explain

 I started writing that book I always talk about. Well, truth is I started a while ago but have begun to write the words down. I found a book writing program on the Internet that is free to use that seems sufficient. This website will publish your book, for a fee of course. They do offer a great range of services depending on how much you wish to invest. I'm hoping to one day have them print a few copies. I would like a hard cover version, I'm thinking six by nine inches. But I have plenty of time to think about all of that. First I had best write the book.
  I began to write whatever came to mind. I know you're supposed to have an outline and be organized. I'm not sure what I'm writing about or where it is I wish to go with this book so an outline is impossible. I keep telling myself , don't constrain your thoughts to an outline. I'm a rebel writer, not a rebel rouser ! It's as good an excuse as any. I do want to write my book, my way. I balk at the thought of an editor. I don't want my thoughts edited by anyone else. In my thinking that would be fine if I intended to market this book, for a profit. That's not the reason I'm writing it though, I'm writing it because I feel a need to do so.
 I haven't gotten far. I did compose an introduction and an explanation. Those two sections have already been written and rewritten numerous times. I'm certain they are not in their finished form yet. I'm wondering just how you decide that. My thinking is that you just have to commit to it and say , that's it. Just hand that paper in like you did when you were in school. It will be up to the reader to grade that work. I'd like to say that it doesn't matter, but it does. I'm not expecting to make any money on the deal but I do want positive reviews. It would be a lie to say I didn't. Vanity rears its' ugly head. I expect that is why companies such as the one I am using are called vanity presses. They will publish anything as long as you are willing to pay. It is for those of us that lack confidence in our literary endeavors. That's the truth of it, but I fool myself by saying I refuse to be judged ! However it comes out in the end, it will be mine exclusive of any editing.
 Like everything else it has to have a form. Is it to be a novel, a mystery or a piece of non-fiction ? Having read what I have written over and over again in the editing process I came to a startling conclusion. What I am writing is an epistle ! I know, an epistle ? Epistles are in the Bible aren't they. Yes, that's true but it isn't the only place you will find them. Just what is an epistle ? It is nothing more than a letter written to someone or an entire group of people. It is didactic in nature. So far what I have written is centering on morality and ethics. I'm just as surprised as anyone. Having discovered that I am now wondering just who I'm writing this letter too. I do like the sound of an epistle better,  sounds scholarly. Epistles are generally used to instruct. Whatever it is that I am composing, letter, epistle or otherwise is offered more as an explanation than instruction. I do believe there is little I could teach anyone. I do try to provide a different point of view on occasion. Yes, I offer an opinion, on everything. I've even got an opinion on opinions.
 Perhaps what I'm writing isn't an epistle after all, just a remembrance. In that case I would just be reminding myself. I've been around for a while now and perhaps a review is in order. I've made my choices along the way. There has been sacrifice, as well as gain. The question to be examined is, were the sacrifices made sufficient ? Well that would depend upon whom the choices benefitted ? Were they for myself, or for others ? The truth is, both ! Just what does the balance sheet look like ? That's the book we have all heard about. It is an account book. I did this on account of that ! An explanation to a life lived.
 In the end I don't believe we get an opportunity, to explain. The facts are written in the account book. We will be judged on the bottom line. We are allowed to make mistakes so long as we amend our choices in the future. The final judgement, the bottom line is a simple one. Either you were a plus or a minus. The goal is to become a plus, that is clear enough. ?  Do we owe others an explanation ?  I believe we do only so as much as we value those people. What I mean by that is, the more you value others, the more the need to explain. Explanations are a sign of caring, excuses are for yourself. Intentions are what we think, actions are what we do. The two don't always align. If your intentions were pure you may offer an explanation, if they were not, you will offer an excuse. Explanations should outweigh excuses. That is the plus you want to achieve.
 Is this an epistle ? Or is what I have written an explanation ? There are some that will see this as an excuse. I have no control over any of that. Yes, the style, the choice of wording can cause emotional responses that may cloud the truth of the statement. They may also cloud a fallacy. In my eyes I am offering an explanation, not an excuse. 

No comments:

Post a Comment