Saturday, October 14, 2017

in principle

 Once again I find myself knocked off center. I'm struggling to regain balance. I realize that there are times when these writings of mine are rather cryptic and it is by design. Blog postings are very public things and certain things shouldn't be discussed in public. You could say I'm trying to protect the innocent.  I have no right to expose what other people may or may not be going through, even when those things effect me deeply. I'm not talking about dirty laundry here, but a persons' right to a degree of privacy. Sometimes these cryptic postings cause others to become concerned for my well being. I am humbled when that happens. The sincerest form of flattery one can display is a sense of caring.
 I try to discuss and share the underlining emotions these events cause in myself. I have a need to explain. Some people like to write stories, poetry, or whatever as a form of entertainment. I've been known to do that as well, but primarily I would say I'm interested in explaining things. These explanations are more for myself than the reader ! The written word somehow seems more relevant, certainly more permanent. It isn't always correct and I'm aware of that as well. For that reason I do not publish everything I write. I want to be certain that is what I want to say. It's like checking your papers before handing in an assignment.
 I've been publishing these things for about seven years now. I don't remember everything I've ever put to paper and my hope is there aren't too many inconsistencies. Conversely I hope there are some because that is a sign of growth. Growth isn't accomplished by a conscious effort but develops over time. It should be a natural process, not forced. What I'm saying is you cannot "learn" or to be  "taught " to grow. Growth has to be a personal experience to be effective. Growing pains ! Those pains are mental, as well as physical. If the mental pains ever cease completely, you have a serious problem. As long as you can feel them, you are alive.
 Metaphorically speaking there are many that become brain dead, intoxicated by their own feelings of self importance, convinced of their superior intellects. Those folks would be well advised to act upon  principles instead of their emotions. Emotions can be a destructive force in our lives just as readily as providing pleasure. When we respond to issues or situations with the intent to make ourselves feel good to the exclusion of all others, emotions can become destructive. When making those choices be careful to not undermine your principles, for they are the foundation. Responding to problems with emotions will never solve the problem. Stay calm and think. I'm trying to take my own advice.
 When there is no solution to the problem one is left with nothing but emotion. The problem becomes how to channel emotion in a productive fashion. It may or may not be pleasing to you. Do I do what I need for myself or for others ? What is the underlining principle here ? Self preservation or sacrifice ? Act upon principle, not emotion is the answer. Easier said, or in this case written, than done. 

No comments:

Post a Comment