Saturday, October 21, 2017

Victimized ?

 How did it come to be that being a victim became an empowerment ? It certainly appears that way to me, why else would so many claim to be a victim ? In my experience people claim that status because it is perceived as an advantage. It was something we learned as children. But Mommy, he was picking on me. Then Mom reprimands the offender and you get rewarded. Yes I'll be a victim in exchange for a reward. I may even gain sympathy and get my self esteem stroked.
 I hear more and more claiming this based on any number of things. I don't need to list them all, you've heard them all as well. There are some making a living being a victim. What infuriates me is when they profit from being a victim of their own making ! Especially so when that is followed by the accusation that I don't understand their plight. I understand that there are consequences for our actions. I also understand that consequences can be positive as well as negative. If you make poor choices that doesn't make you a victim ! What that makes you is ignorant. Failure to learn from your mistakes is ignorance. Well the truth is, we all fall victim to our choices.
The place you were born, your gender, or your social standing in the community doesn't automatically make you a victim ! I sure hear a lot of whining. I don't just mean from the left about the results of the last election, although that is whining taken to monumental proportions. I hear people whining about everything and anything. Then when someone exposes a truth about a tragic event that happened to them, all at once I keep hearing, " me too ! "  I think they have a hashtag for that now, me too. Now I'm not saying those folks are lying just questioning why you would jump on that bandwagon ? Sadly I know the answer to that one. It is because it isn't my fault and I want everyone to know that. I can now broadcast whatever tragic event happened to me, be a victim, and receive support, and in some cases accolades for my bravery ! Give me a break with that.
 Alright tell me how I lack empathy. Tell me I don't understand anything. I'm just a mean old man and what's worse, I'm white. I have been enjoying all that privilege for 64 years now. That's the narrative right ? That may be true, although I certainly don't see it that way, but I was just born this way. It wasn't my choice, I'm a victim too ! I'm a victim of what ? Being born ? Am I victim of culture ? Yes that would be the case wouldn't it ? That is where the issue really lies, in culture. That's why we have left and right. We are taught to choose sides aren't we ? The obvious way to do that is by outward appearances. We divide ourselves by color ,by size, by wealth, by education level and the list goes on. When we attempt to assimilate into a society other than our own we are attacked. We are attacked by the ones we are trying to join and by the ones we are trying to leave ! It is a two way street. It is really quite a simple concept best described by an old idiom, " you can't have your cake and eat it too. "
 Of course a victim is innocent in all of this. That is the precept being utilized here. It isn't my fault and here is why. It is all beyond my control. That is what we are being told. And just who is telling us that ? Think about that. It is the ones that wish to control us, that's who. There is a gain for those folks. Just keep telling everyone how they are being cheated, deprived or somehow being mistreated to create unrest. It is through unrest and chaos that change often arrives. We have become a bit more sophisticated about that. At one time we would just stage a coup or a civil war ! The plan now is a bit more insidious. The plan itself isn't anything new, it has been going on since man first formed a community. Someone wants to be the boss ! What isn't being taught is this, by being a victim you are exposing your weakness. That is what a victim does, expose their weakness, their vulnerability. Then the one that wishes to control can offer solace, feign outrage that such a thing happened and promise to correct it ! Thing is, no one can change the past. And guess what ? Bad things happen to good people.
 I guess it is just a fundamental difference I can only attribute to my age. I was taught to not whine and cry about everything that happens to you that is unfavorable. I was taught you either took action or cowered in the corner. I may have become a victim, but I didn't have to remain one. Best thing to do was learn from that experience. I'm not going to willingly expose my weakness to anyone. I don't want sympathy. I don't want to be viewed in that fashion. Oh, poor Ben. I've made my choices, I've accepted whatever consequences occurred as a result of those choices. Yes, I have been a victim on a few occasions, that's aright. It happens. 

No comments:

Post a Comment