Sunday, October 15, 2017

legislating heroes

The Governor of Maryland is proposing tax breaks for heroes. Yes, that what he is calling that proposed bit of legislation. The hometown heroes tax relief package would remove the requirement for certain groups to pay taxes on their retirement income. The heroes ? First responders, corrections officers and law enforcement officers. Last month he did mention military retirees as well. A fine and noble sentiment, one politically expedient as the number of Democrats lining up to oppose him in the upcoming election keeps growing. Now, I'm not saying this is the reason he is proposing this right now. I do recall his predecessor, Bob Ehrlich promising military retirees he would abolish our requirement to pay taxes on our retired pay. Yeah, that didn't happen. Sounded pretty good at the time though.
 My issue with all of this is how to define who is and isn't a " hometown hero. " The way I hear it everyone is a hero these days. Joined the National Guard and went to two weeks of training ? You're a hero. Rescued a cat from a tree, you're a hero. If you performed any act of kindness or compassion toward your fellow man, you're a hero ! See the problem there ? Aren't our school teachers heroes ? What about the coaches, counselors or clergy ? Heroes one and all ! Just how do you define a hero ? To me this form of legislation borders on pandering. Hey Governor, want votes much ? Let's target those core groups, you know, the old people that have fixed incomes. We will tell them all they are heroes and reduce their taxes. That'll get them out to vote for you for sure. That's the way it sounds to me but I'm often accused of being jaded. Maybe so, but Ehrlich promised the military tax break five or six years ago and they are still talking about that. I'm glad those " hero " first responders don't take that long to respond. But then I'm just a disgruntled old man.
 The fact of the matter is I get annoyed with all this talk of heroes. Not everyone is a hero ! In my way of thinking that is just adding to the problem. If everyone is a hero just who are we supposed to look up to ? Who are our role models, our inspiration, the people we wish to emulate ? If everyone is a hero, there are no heroes !!! When I was young we had heroes. We had sports heroes, musical heroes and then we had real heroes. Those real heroes never admitted to being a hero, they were the modest ones that always responded in the same fashion. They didn't seek accolades, medals or public recognition. Heroes are born and live in a moment. That's the reality of it. Have we, as a society, become so dependent upon recognition that we can't act without receiving that ? Is it the quest for a sticker, a ribbon or a trophy that important ? We are all heroes ?
 Well, I'm just an old guy. I've met a few heroes in my lifetime. They didn't tell me they were, they didn't advertise. I doubt they ever knew I thought they were heroes. In my day, you just didn't go throwing the hero badge around. That was reserved for the special ones, I don't know, I just find the whole thing a bit pathetic. So now we will legislate who is and isn't a " hometown hero. " Should be some interesting debate on the senate floor about that. 

No comments:

Post a Comment