Thursday, October 19, 2017

missing out

 I was thinking about some of the things kids miss out on today. You know the things that have fallen out of favor and been replaced by electronics and such. One of those things that came to mind was receiving a card or letter in the mail. I can remember that being somewhat of a big deal when I was young. That letter was addressed to me. Mom or Dad couldn't open it, no one else was allowed to open it, that is the law ! I thought that was pretty cool. It was like getting a secret in the mail. I expect their are a lot of kids today that have never known that thrill. As I thought about that I decided to get some Halloween cards for the grandkids. I was at the store at the time, in fact it was the display of cards that prompted that line of thinking. I guess there is something to that displaying products stuff. Anyway, even though the kids are all teenagers I thought I would mail them all a card. Yes, I bought ones designed for small children really, that's part of the fun. So, I got the cards and came home to address them. As I picked up my pen to write on the envelope I took pause. Do you remember when you were young and got a letter ? How was it addressed ? If you were a young lady it would be Miss. Nothing wrong with that, but do you remember if it were a boy ? In that case it may have been addressed " Master. " That is why I paused, it must be political correctness that is rubbing off. Have I become " socially aware, sensitive to the feelings and perceptions of others ? I thought, how would that salutation be interpreted today ?  If someone were to read that on the envelope just what reaction could result ? I left it off.
 I haven't used that salutation in many years. I wonder if they still teach that at all. It was old fashioned when I learned it, so I guess by now it is an ancient thing. I was taught the different forms for writing correspondence. It was just a cursory overview in English class. You remember, where to put what on the paper ? They call it formatting these days. You can do that with a click of your mouse if you are old school. What, you don't have a touch screen computer ? After deciding to not include Master in the address line I wondered about using Dear. Is that acceptable today ?  Dear could be seen as a term of endearment and inappropriate in certain situations. OMG, it could be a trigger and be construed as an assault ! Better not use that either. Well, I'm not going to worry about all of that any further. I'll just move along. By the way, the salutation Master had nothing to do with slavery, or being a slave holder, and was not reserved for use with white folks. All male children of any race or ethnicity were addressed as Master in a formal setting.
 I never had a pen pal. I would write an occasional letter to some friends I knew that stayed in my hometown over the summer months. After labor day when they went back to their homes I wouldn't see them again until Memorial day weekend. I would send a note or a card filling them in on things. We didn't call each other. I guess that was because, generally speaking, using the telephone was an adult thing. If it were real important, or an emergency,  you could pick it up. It was not to be used for idle conversation. You did feel just a little bit important or grown up when you got to use the phone. That did change a bit when we switched to push button phones, then we would " play a tune " on that keypad when Mom wasn't listening. My sister wanted a " princess " phone but Dad said, no way. One phone hanging on the kitchen wall was plenty. You did have to earn the privilege of using that phone. It wasn't " unlimited " calling that much was sure. I remember calling collect and Dad refusing the charges ! It was a secret signal though. I called long distance and Dad would refuse the charges. It told him I was fine and had arrived at my destination. Pretty slick trick, Ma Bell couldn't fool us. Yes, it was an act of collusion ! These kids today will never know that feeling. Funny how that feeling is really one of having gotten over on the man. What a bunch of rebels we were. It's alright though we went to church on Sunday.
 Well I gotta go and mail these cards. It cost 49cents each. I remember when you bought an air mail stamp for thirteen cents. Yes, air mail was separate and you had to write that on the outside of the envelope. Regular mail was 8 cents. Hey, it ain't cheap it you want it to go air mail ! I bought envelopes that had those red stripes around the borders. Do kids today known what it means if the stamp is upside down ? What about if it says SWAK across the back. And I'm betting it is awful hard to scent an e-mail ! Kids today just don't know.
   

No comments:

Post a Comment