Monday, October 23, 2017

over an autumn fire

 Last evening my grandson built a fire in his backyard. It is something he and I both enjoy. We are just burning leaves, sticks and branches. Whatever we can find is alright. Building a fire pit has been on the to do list for years and has never been done. Right now we are using an old galvanized wash tub. I tell him to not breathe the smoke because it probably has zinc in it. Well, truth is it probably isn't very healthy but I love that smell. There is just something about old leaves and branches. We had a good fire going and pulled up the lawn chairs. The grandson made himself a few smores and we settled down to talk.
 Mark is sixteen now and it's hard to believe at times. Grandkids seem to grow at an accelerated rate. Einstein should have worked on that theory of relativity. The relatives being grandchildren and grandparents. But we had a nice discussion. It's an amazing thing. Some time was spent discussing the case of that illegal alien girl that wants an abortion. In case you aren't aware, this girl entered the country illegally, is pregnant and got arrested. She is being detained awaiting the disposition of her case. Thing is she is demanding an abortion. The court has blocked that, for now. Our discussion centered around whether this girl has a " right " to that abortion. I took the position that she does not as she is in the country illegally. Mark says she has a right, by law, to that abortion. He takes that position even though he opposes the whole abortion issue. He made good and valid points and I attempted to counter each one. It was an exchange of ideas and no one won or lost the debate.
 Following that discussion we moved on to another hot topic, race relations. Mark expressed his feelings about what needs to be done to improve those relations. We were in agreement on the majority of points. I was proud to hear his thoughts and it reassured me, there is hope. Yes in my eyes Mark is exceptional, aren't all grandkids, but I'm equally as certain a number of his friends share his views. It's true that Mark doesn't travel in a big circle of friends, but the ones he does have substance to them. I find that encouraging and hope it continues. Then we just sat silently for a while and contemplated things. I didn't stay a very long time, maybe two hours total. I must say they were hours well spent.
 Marks' mom, Maria, has often remarked that Mark has a old soul. I agree with her on that. There are times when he will say something that only an older, more experienced soul would know. It's hard to explain,  but you know what I mean ? I wonder if some of that comes from the time he spent with his grandparents in the first few years. Grandma watched him every day while Mom and Dad and Grandpa went to work. He never went to a daycare, ever. Grandma walked him to pre-school and put him on the school bus right up to high school. We even had his bus stop changed to be closer to our house. We did the same for his sister, although I don't believe her soul is quite as aged. I have no explanation for that. It's quite the mystery really this how and why we develop the way we do. I don't want to say they are on different levels because that implies one level is better than another and I don't believe that. Just because something is different doesn't make it better or worse, just different. The challenge is understanding the differences and they way they relate to ourselves. Grandpa enjoys his " quality " time with his granddaughter equally as much. Morgan is not as concerned with social issues as her brother. She does have a kind and gentle soul. In many ways like her brother, but different. That I have been blessed with the pair of them is without question. I figure I did something right.
 Last night we lit a fire, a sign of the fall. It is symbolic of the cold weather to come. It's like another tick of the clock, time advancing. I sat looking into those flames last night and got lost in my thoughts. Mark and I had settled the major issues of the world and we were both contemplating that. There was no winner or loser. No, we sat on level ground, as equals.  I heard some of me in his thoughts and I'm pleased. That's the truth of it. I think the best we can hope for is that our children and grandchildren carry a piece of ourselves forward. I pray the piece they carry forward doesn't become baggage ! Baggage is often left behind. Maybe that old soul we speak of is baggage that was left at the station.  It could be Mark reclaimed what he lost in a previous life. Is that why the old soul ?
 

No comments:

Post a Comment