Saturday, September 9, 2017

who's to blame ?

 Like most of America I am concerned about this hurricane named Irma. The news has been incessant and has grown increasingly dramatic. Unfortunately I don't think the news folks are exaggerating the seriousness of the situation. This is one time when I wish that were the case. This storm is a monster. I have seen some postings where certain celebrities and others are blaming this storm on Trump. Now just how stupid is that ? The reasoning is that God is somehow angry at the United States and punishing everyone for Trumps actions. Unbelievable that anyone would even suggest such a thing.
 A lot of people will question why. Why does God allow these storms and other natural disasters to happen ? I don't have an easy answer for any of that. Could God intervene and stop all of this ? If you believe in God, you would also have to believe that it is possible. So why doesn't he ? I don't know, but here is what I think.
 God, whatever name you choose makes little difference, is the energy that gave life to the world. My Bible tells me that in the very first chapter. " And the earth was without form, and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters. " God then said, Let there be light and there was light. Light is energy. Energy is the ability to cause change in matter or the environment. One would have to conclude from that history that God is the source of light/energy. That energy, that light created the world as we know it.
 Now I don't believe that God preplanned everything that would follow. That is evidenced by giving man free will. If he wished to control everything, he would do so. It just seems logical to me. Why did he create earth in the first place ? That is the biggest question to be answered. I don't believe the sole purpose was to glorify himself. That doesn't sound like the God I pray too. It is a question I intend to ask one day. Setting that aside as an unknown, I would expand that to include people and the weather. What I'm saying is these things are just part of a natural order, a cycle unbroken since the beginning. I do find it unsettling that the world was flooded at one time. Yes I believe that Biblical account. Was that a punishment from God ? I struggle with that question as well. Noah could just as well had a premonition that he acted upon. Other cultures also have tales of a great flood so perhaps Noah and his family weren't alone. Believing that doesn't change anything as far as I'm concerned. I do believe that God is the beginning and the end. The alpha and the omega. I don't envision my God as a puppet master. I don't think that is necessary for either God, or us.
 Believing that heaven awaits those that please God, obeying his commandments is the reward. The manner in which I arrive to face judgement is not important. The important part lies in what I did while I was here. I was given the choice. I could obey or not. I can't say I haven't been told, that I am unaware. Just as I wrote a few days back I believe that fate fulfills destiny. Fate are those things that happen to us either by our own actions, the actions of others or nature itself. The only thing we can control is ourselves ! That is the test isn't it ? Isn't that what judgement is all about ?
 I am destined to be with God, I believe that. How soon that destiny is fulfilled I can not know. I'm not ruling out the possibility it could take several lifetimes. That is simply because I believe that God also gave me life. It is the energy of God that sustains all life. Energy, as we all know can neither be created or destroyed by man. We can kill the physical body, no problem there, but we can't destroy that energy. Where does it go ? Does it need to go anywhere ? Energy, as we know it is always transforming from one state to another. We also know there are two types of energy, kinetic and potential. Is what we perceive as eternal rest simply potential energy ? Is that energy then absorbed into the whole ? It's a lot to think about.
 To sum up my thoughts this morning I just wanted to say, God isn't punishing anyone for anything ! I do not believe that. I believe prayer is just as effective in times of crisis, as in times of calm. Much of what happens to us is the result of fate. God is not controlling our fate. We can have the greatest influence on our fate although circumstance and the actions of others will certainly intervene. It will not change my destiny however. That is the basis of faith.

No comments:

Post a Comment