Sunday, September 3, 2017

fate fulfills destiny

  Have you ever heard the sound of a bell buoy in the fog ? It is one of the most ominous sounds I can think of. I have heard it almost as a whisper, beckoning, tempting in it's insistence. At other times it is sharp and clear, a warning. Always I get an unsettled feeling in my stomach. It isn't exactly fear, that isn't the feeling, foreboding is the word to describe that sound. All that is true if you are underway, moving through that fog. If you are safely moored the sound takes on a different quality altogether. Then  it can be a comfort, a lullaby that soothes.
 I don't know why that came to mind as I sat at this keyboard this morning, I do have these random thoughts that appear to be unrelated to anything at the moment. Scatterbrained is what they used to call that. I prefer to think of it as an active mind. I believe our brains process information all the time and just file it away. Every once and a while something is filed in the wrong place. Those are the seemingly random thoughts we have. Once we refile them, in their proper place, they make sense to us. Did that sound escape a file to warn me about something ? If so, I can't see it just yet.
 I have two options. Either I move forward slowly, cautiously listening into the darkness, or drop anchor and wait. If I wait, the fog will lift. Patience is what is required in this situation. Yet I feel a sense on anxiety about all of this. I don't feel like I should wait at all. Still, the bell rings. The sound is dull and muffled so whatever I'm being warned about is at a distance. I do need to be careful though, the fog can be deceiving. Is this just a warning, a nudge to change direction, to change my course ? If so, what course shall I take ? To answer that I would have to know the destination. Is that what I am questioning here, the destination ? Do we know where we are going ?
 Is our destiny, our fate ? I don't think so. Our destiny, our destination, is predetermined by our God. We can choose which God, if any, to follow, but that will not change the destination. All that changes is fate. I say that because I believe we control our fate, to a certain extent, by the choices we make. Our choices will never supersede our destiny however. Circumstance and chance figure into all of this as well. I don't believe my God is like a puppet master, controlling my every move. I do believe my God provides guidance if I but listen. That guidance can make the voyage a lot easier. Fate, to me, is the result of action. That explains why bad things happen to good people. Those things happen as a result of actions taken by either themselves, or by others. But those bad things do not change the destiny of the person, only the fate of those around them. I'm not saying it is what was meant to be, rather I'm saying that is how fate fulfilled destiny.
 I don't know the destination, only where I wish to go. Will I get there ? That is not up to me but was predetermined at my birth. I do have a destiny to fulfill, a purpose. I have often thought about what that purpose may be. I do think in order to know that I would have to know the purpose of the universe. I am just a miniscule particle in all of that. Is it reasonable to believe I could understand that ? To what purpose, man. Was man created to glorify God ? Is that our sole purpose, to please the one that created us ? That certainly doesn't seem right. If that were the case God must be sorely disappointed. My Bible tells me that happened on at least one occasion and the result was the flood. Now I'm hearing the sound of a bell buoy ! That tells me to pay attention, might need to adjust my course or drop the anchor. I'll keep on listening for now.  

No comments:

Post a Comment