Monday, September 4, 2017

one smooth ride

 Tomorrow my grandson goes for his drivers license. He has had his permit, attended all the mandatory classes and driven me around. Still, tomorrow will be a big day for him. Who among us can remember the thrill of getting that license ? I don't have any distinct memory at all, just that I got it. I do remember being all worried and nervous about that road test. I was using my Moms' car, a 1968 Dodge Charger that I hadn't been allowed to drive very often. It was an automatic so that was a help. I was more concerned with damaging the car than anything else. That's about all I can recall.
 I was thinking about this and how things have changed. My grandson tells me if he gets his license he still couldn't drive to school. I figured he meant he couldn't because he doesn't have a car of his own. That wasn't what he was thinking about though, he doesn't have a parking permit from the school. I'm told you have to purchase a permit and now they are all gone. Granted this is a high school but I have seen the parking lots, there are lots of spaces. So, if all the spaces are gone that means a lot of cars, far more than what faculty would need. Just how many of these kids have their own vehicles ? I don't remember all the kids in my classes having cars. I did have one when I was a Senior. It was a vehicle given to me by an uncle. It was a 1965 Ford Falcon station wagon ! I was thrilled to have it. I surely didn't require a parking permit up at the high school. Well now that I think about it I didn't need an ID either. Times have definitely changed. How many trucks sat in that parking lot with a shotgun in the rack ? Duck hunting is done in the early morning you know, before school. I think a few folks would get just a bit upset by that nowadays.
 Remember cruising around ? I drove my car just to drive. I expect all teenagers do that, that is something that I'm certain hasn't changed. I'm not up on what the cruise here in Greensboro is but McDonalds seems to figure into the route. I see a lot of pick up trucks parked there with young boys. Not so many young girls though ! Mom and Dad aren't having any of that ! Maybe the girls are driving their own cars around now. I hadn't really given that any thought. Boys are interested in the car thing right ? When I was young I was aware of a number of ladies that had no drivers license and had never had one. Grandma certainly never drove an automobile in her life. Yes, a lady having a drivers license wasn't something that was assumed back then. That's changed.
 I think it was a lot easier for kids to get a car when I was in high school. Good used cars could be had for as little as a few hundred dollars. All you needed was a little mechanical ability or a friend that did. Junk yards were around to get parts at reasonable prices. Thing was, almost everything on those cars could be fixed, they didn't necessarily require replacing. I remember seeing those electronic ignition systems for the first time and scratching my head about that. No points, no condenser ? I learned to adapt. Didn't like it much but that's what the new cars have. The new cars today are just too complicated for the average Joe. The parts need to be replaced, not repaired. I have been informed in the last years that junk yards no longer exist. At least the one in Greensboro doesn't, I was told it was an automotive recycling center ! No more wandering around the junk yard looking for a part. Go to the counter and inquire. You will need to know the year, make, model, and the part number you hope to retrieve. Don't try to just ask for a radio, that will be met with a barrage of questions. I was just looking for a simple 12 volt am/fm radio. I was told without all the aforementioned information that would be impossible !
 I guess what I am trying to say is when I went to school a car was closer to a wagon than a electronic package. An abacus compared to a electronic calculator. Both will get the job done, albeit one faster than the other, even when in the hands of the inexperienced. I do believe the guys of my generation where far more knowledgeable about vehicles and how they work. We had to know to keep things going, unless of course your Daddy had lots of money. We laughed at those kids. Today it just isn't a practical approach. Buying a good used car, one that you can repair yourself,  just doesn't make sense. You can buy a working automobile for the price of the parts ! That is the big change I think. Was a day we could buy a forest, chop down the trees and build a cabin. Cheaper now to just rent a condo. Everything changes.
 I'm sure my grandson will get his license and eventually a car. He wants a Jeep. I wanted a Mustang. I never did get that Mustang, although my sister did. She bought one brand new, off the showroom floor in 1971. In 1975 I bought a Gremlin, brand new, off the showroom floor. We'll see what Mark winds up with. Whatever it is I am certain he 'll have fond memories of that first car. I would love to have a 1965 Ford Falcon station wagon once again. I'm told they are antiques, collectors items. Yeah well, they were a fine automobile. And I'll tell one thing that Falcon had that cars don't have today, a bench seat ! That's right it was equipped with a bench seat. The advantage ? I would turn to the young lady riding with me and say, " slide on over here, I don't trust that door. " And that was one smooth ride.

No comments:

Post a Comment