Friday, September 15, 2017

Turn signals

 I cut the grass yesterday and noticed it for the first time , fall grass. Do you know what fall grass looks like ? I can see the slight brown tint in that growing grass, it is the seed for next year. I'm no farmer that much is certain and agriculture isn't part of my makeup but I am observant. I first noticed this when I worked for the town of Ridgely, Maryland. Cutting grass was a big portion of my responsibilities and many hours where spent on the tractor. Riding along hour after hour you just naturally start to notice this stuff.  I wasn't wearing ear buds plugged into an I-phone or MP3 player and so wasn't distracted by any of that. It was just the tractor, me and acres of grass. I also got to do a lot of thinking then as well. Could be that is why so many farmer are as wise as they are, plenty of time to think about stuff. I expect that isn't as true today as it used to be. Farming has become quite the automated process. The cabs of those tractors and combines are plenty plush I'd say and filled with distractions. , just like our automobiles. It's become a problem, distracted driving. I can't imagine why. But I started out talking about the fall grass coming on. It is just one more indicator that the seasons is changing.
 I wouldn't call myself much of a naturalist, I just know what I have observed or experienced. I do think it would be fun to go exploring in the wild, living off the land and all that. I always wondered where people got the money to do that. I mean, surely you have other responsibilities in life don't you ? How can you make a living doing that ? Another big question has always been, where would I do it ? There isn't a single square foot of land in all of America that isn't owned by somebody. Isn't that an amazing fact ? Not one square foot isn't titled to someone, some corporation, or the government. Even the Indian reservations are technically the property of the United States government. It is frequently mentioned these days how we took the land from the native Americans. Yes we did, and put it in our name.
 You know what's strange ? We are taught that our government, is of the people, by the people, for the people. The government is also the largest landowner. So, we shouldn't have anyone homeless in America because we all own the land ! But, the government controls our use of said land. Hey we are even charged admission to get on some of the most beautiful land we have, we call them national parks and forests. So just who is the land titled to ? I want to see the deed. But again, I've wandered off track.
 Anyway I noticed the fall grass coming on, the hint of color in the trees and it is getting dark earlier. The breezes are getting cooler. I did see some geese the other day. Maybe it is just some romantic notion I have from watching too much television. Maybe it comes from riding a tractor for hours on end. I just can't help but think what it must have been like back in the old days. I'm thinking before we could turn on the news and listen to the weather reports. I'm certain folks back then could read the signs left by nature like you and I read a book. Nature does leave indicators with almost everything if you are observant enough. We have heard red in the morning sailors take warning, red at night sailors delight. I wonder if that works in Kansas. I watch the squirrels gathering their stores for winter, I stare at the wooly worms when they arrive. All these things are signs, the signs of nature. Ever notice how the sky is grayer in the winter months ?
 I do find it all very satisfying, reassuring somehow. The changes occur so subtly. Yes, the big events get all the attention. The thing is like a great work of art it is the details that make it beautiful to look at. You do have to know what to look for though. I suspect that is what is taught in art appreciation class and what should be taught to our children regarding nature. Sadly, I think a lot of that is being lost. Well, there is always the weather channel.   

No comments:

Post a Comment