Monday, September 11, 2017

Deportment

 I watched Charlie Rose interview Steve Bannon on sixty minutes last evening. In the end I was left with one impression, Charlie Rose has lost all sense of impartiality. HIs dislike for Trump was on full display, as was his distaste of Steve Bannon. Nothing wrong with that on a personal level but he is supposed to be a professional. I couldn't help but wonder if that really was his personal feelings, or is he being paid. If I were his employer he would be censured or perhaps fired. It wouldn't be for the view he holds but rather for his complete lack of impartiality during that interview. Unless, of course that is what he was being paid to do. There were moments when I could see the color rise up in his face and I felt like he wanted to strike out. All in all I found it very unseemly for a " senior " correspondent. I'll blame it on the influence of Gail King and Nora O'Donnell.
 It left me wondering what has happened to the newsmen ? Walter Cronkite told us, " and that's the way it is " without his personal judgement or opinion taking precedence over the news. Walter was a man you could trust to tell the truth of it, whatever it was. I also admired David Brinkley. It was he who said, " Washington D.C. is a city filled with people who think they are important. " I'd say that was telling it like it really is. It appears to me that a lot of the newsmen we have today have adopted that same attitude. I would say there are a lot of newsrooms today that are filled with reporters that think they are important ! What they fail to understand is what Walter and David both knew, the importance lies in reporting the news factually, unbiased, and without a agenda. It was simply their jobs.
 Although the majority of you that read my postings can take an educated guess I won't say what I think about Bannon or Trump. Whether or not I agree with what was being said in that interview isn't important to this discussion. What I'm taking issue with is the reporting. It didn't seem like an interview at all. It struck me more as an ambush. Bannon says it was his first television interview, ever. Charlie Rose attacked with the viciousness of a cobra. He continually interrupted when Bannon tried to answer. Following his interruptions Charlie tried using misdirection, changing the topic, and the interjection of personal opinion to direct the conversation in his favor. In my opinion he came just short of telling Bannon, " I'm Charlie Rose and I'm smarter than you are. "
 Yes, I felt Charlie Rose became condescending on several occasions. And maybe even worse was Charlie Rose repeating those weak, non-sensible retorts like I read on Facebook. I believe he employed every single one of them. " We are a nation of immigrants. " Charlie  is that the best you have to offer. Yes, we are a nation with immigrants ! Legal immigrants have always been welcomed in our nation so what is your point ? Sorry, I just expected a more thoughtful, informed interviewer wouldn't stoop to such low level statements. Even Bannon had to tell him, Charlie that is beneath you.
 I can only assume that Charlie Rose has decided to " ride for the brand. " He is pushing the agenda as it is being fed to him. Perhaps as his career nears its' end he has become concerned with his legacy. It's a shame he is sullying whatever successes he has had in his career with such tripe as he spews forth today. To say I have lost all respect for him is an understatement. What happened ? How has it come to be that he has lost all sense of deportment ? It seems like the entire " left " has lost a sense of deportment. Well, the truth of the matter is a great number of Americans have lost there senses. As my old friend Walter would say, " and that's the way it is. "    
  

No comments:

Post a Comment