Tuesday, September 12, 2017

no quarter !

 Yesterday marked a solemn anniversary. I was gratified to see that even in the midst of the chaos and turmoil of two hurricanes it wasn't forgotten. It is something I will never forget, akin to what my parents generation feel for Pearl Harbor. As tragic an event as that was it now often goes unnoticed by many of the younger folks. Slowly history is putting a cloud over that, obscuring the reality of it.  I'm not saying we should never forgive, for the generations following that are not accountable. All the lives lost were important to someone. I am saying we must never forget about it. For some that distinction is hard to comprehend. Forgiveness is the more difficult action to accomplish, forgetting is much easier. I know it isn't very Christian but I admit it is easier to forgive my enemies once they are dead ! I hold no Japanese folks responsible for what happened in 1941. Yes, there are a few left that participated. They would all be old warriors now, veterans of a war they lost. They pose no threat and I would leave them in peace, unmolested in their memories.
 That attack will have been 76 years ago this year. Yes it is remembered, mostly with tributes to the fallen. The living veterans are counted, especially those that survived that initial onslaught. More lives were lost on 9/11 than at Pearl Harbor. The truth is more lives were taken at the world trade center than were lost on D-day ! A staggering statistic when viewed in the context of history. Memorials have been erected and the names written down. A new monument began construction to remember those in Pennsylvania that were martyred in defense of our nation. A 93 foot tall " Tower of Voices " to remember those lives on flight 93 that were taken. I have placed that on my bucket list of places to see. This tower is the final phase of that national memorial. It is a bit symbolic in that regard as far as my thinking goes. It remains to be seen if that will be the last memorial dedicated to that awful day.
 As I listened to the tributes and speeches yesterday from various dignitaries and family members I was struck by a particular phrase used in conjunction with the attack on the trade center. That phrase was remembering the " sacrifice " of those that lost their lives. You could say it is a matter of semantics and I couldn't argue with that, still I am bothered by it. Those folks that were killed by that terrorist attack did not make a sacrifice, their lives were taken from them ! A sacrifice is something freely given, often in hope for an exchange. I don't believe one single individual in those towers gave their lives willingly. Yes, there certainly were many acts of bravery and personal sacrifice following that attack. It is to those acts that our memorials should be dedicated. Those memorials represent the lives taken, not the act ! The names recorded are those whose lives were taken, not sacrificed. They supported no cause, what did they hope to gain ? The answer is nothing at all, given a choice they would have lived ! That choice was taken from them on that fateful day and we must never forget that !
 Should forgiveness be forthcoming ? If so, who are we to forgive ? You can't find closure with an ideology. That ideology is alive and well, flourishing in fact. I for one will give it no quarter. I will speak out in opposition, no matter how politically incorrect that may become. I will take whatever measures I can to prevent the growth of that cancer in the world. I will never forget what they are capable of doing, what they have already done ! The enemy is elusive and insidious in their plotting. I will remain forever vigilant. Sixteen years have passed and the fire of anger still burns hot in my heart. I don't believe I'll ever put that behind me, much the same way Pearl Harbor lives in my parents memories. Innocent lives were taken ! The sacrifice came with those that responded. Their gain was to be the saving of life. a selfless act. God bless them all. I will never forget.    

No comments:

Post a Comment