Sunday, September 10, 2017

the response

 The pressing issue of monuments has taken a back seat to Irma. I'm happy about that much anyway. It is a shame that it is taking a natural disaster to get people focused on what is important. I wrote and explained yesterday why I don't think Irma is anyone's fault, especially it isn't God punishing anyone. Now that the attention is focused on Houston and Florida there will be some to proclaim, " God works in mysterious ways . " A lot of folks like to say that as an affirmation that God only does good things. They wish to put a spin on things they can't understand to get a positive result. There's nothing wrong with that. I'm one of those that try to find the positive in every situation, even when there isn't one. Attitude and outlook are the motivators for the things we do, and the choices we make. The little train that could ! That is what I was taught. I wasn't taught to ask for help or to surrender when things got tough. I was taught to give thanks to my God for whatever good fortune I experience in life. The thanks isn't for any action God may have taken on my behalf, the thanks is for strength of spirit.
 That spirit is the gift that God has given me. I am free to use that gift in any way I choose. That is how it should be with a gift, it is given without expectation of a return. There will be those that appreciate that gift and those that do not. As the person giving the gift one shouldn't be concerned with any of that. The gift is in the offering, not in the object. Isn't that what the story of the little drummer boy teaches us ? Remember when we were children, and made those little gifts for Mom ? The value was in the offering. Aren't they also the gifts most often saved, preserved over the years as treasure ? I have a few of those treasures from my own children, and now from the grandchildren. God imbued me with his spirit, I am responsible for the usage and care. I believe my God even left instructions for the care of that spirit. Man recorded those instructions, first in memory and later in writing. The reference is in our conscience.
 We instinctively know right from wrong. As Thomas Jefferson wrote in the Declaration, "We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights.". If we had received our rights only from the government, then the government could justifiably take them away. Jefferson was saying that God instills those rights in us, not the government. In todays' jargon, it's a no brainer ! I also believe I am responsible for the choices I make. That is another lesson I was taught at an early age. I can point the finger at any number of people or circumstances but the response is my own. It is the strength of my spirit that guides me. If I have maintained that spirit well, it will serve me well. The choice is mine.
 So as I listen to the reports of the storm and its' progress I will pray. I will pray for all those in harms way. I offer my prayer without expectation of return. My prayer is an attempt on my part to share the gift of spirit I was given by my God. It is offered to anyone that may be in need. I don't care what monument may or may not have offended you. Monuments are just reminders. Reminders are  good things, even when we are reminded of bad things. Will Harvey and Irma serve as reminders of the human spirit ? Yes, I believe they will. Disasters have a tendency to bring out the best in humanity. It isn't God causing storms as punishment. It isn't God working in a mysterious way. Storms are a natural occurrence. Every person on earth is imbued with the spirit of God. It is that spirit that will respond.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment