Monday, September 25, 2017

respect

 How has this come to be ? How is it acceptable to disrespect the national ensign, disrespect the national anthem, and disrespect the memories of our forefathers ? Regardless of any and all political affiliations, or lack thereof, how is this acceptable ?  Isn't it " respect " that all the fuss is about ? The very argument that I have the right to do this is based upon respect ! Well respect hasn't changed, it is still something offered only when earned ! Respect isn't a guarantee written into the Constitution of the United States. The Constitution and the Bill of Rights define our form of government and ensure the basic human rights of our citizens. Those documents were intended to ensure that everyone of us was treated in a respectful manner. And in case you don't understand something the preamble to the Constitution begins with these words, " We the people of the United States " When you disrespect the nation you are disrespecting yourself ! You are " we the people " don't you understand that ? Furthermore, amendment nine states, " The enumeration in the Constitution, of certain rights, shall not be construed to deny or disparage others retained by the people. " I believe that means just because it is or isn't written down specifically in the Constitution doesn't mean that right doesn't exist. It shall not be construed to deny or " disparage " others. I place the emphasis on disparage because in disrespecting my Flag, My Country and my beliefs you are disparaging me !! That is a violation of my rights under the Constitution of the United States of America.
 Yes we could argue over semantics from now till the end of time and get no where. The issue here is not one of understanding the written word. It is not about obeying or exercising a right afforded to you and I by a piece of legislation. What we are arguing about is the heart of America. That was not written down, that was, and is, being lived. When I was a child I was taught to stand at attention, place my right hand over my heart, and recite the Pledge of Allegiance. I was taught to stand at attention, face the flag, and place my right hand over my heart whenever the National Anthem was played. It was done as a sign of respect. What are we respecting ? We are respecting all those that came before us, all those that struggled, all those that paid the price for liberty. The flag is a symbol and the National Anthem a call to duty. You have a duty and an obligation. Regardless of whether you like the President, regardless of whether you agree with the law as currently written, regardless of your personal feelings. you have an obligation. You are " We the People " why would you disrespect yourself ? Think about that. What's next ? Maybe you should start rewarding yourself by the wearing of a ribbon, will that make you feel better ? I would support that, wear your ribbon to protest whatever you think you are protesting. Just don't disrespect my Country or my Flag. 

No comments:

Post a Comment