Wednesday, June 8, 2016

problem solved

 There are days when I don't have much to say, I know, hard to believe isn't it, but this morning is one of them. The weather is beautiful, the coffee tastes great and all is well in the world. Yet, I feel a compulsion to post a blog. Habits are a difficult thing to break, it just feels uncomfortable. Given time that uncomfortable feeling will become comfortable. That is the way it goes I think with any " addiction. " Uhm, just noticed if you remove the c from addiction you have addition.  Additions can be addictions. Never thought of that before. Of course there are good ones and bad ones. We do tend to think of addictions as a negative thing. I think this blog writing has become a addition, not an addiction. It is something that has become a part of my morning routine and I am a man of  habit. I'm really quite predictable. I also feel like others look for that posting, not necessarily to read it, but as an expected thing. I know I miss others when they fail to post their good mornings or see any posting from them at all. If it continues for a few days I even grow concerned. My Facebook wall has become somewhat of a neighborhood. I am familiar with most everyone and if something seems wrong I wonder. Hey, even when you have a neighbor you may not be especially fond of, you notice. I hope others would notice my absence.
 I do wonder why we don't think of positive things as addictions. Seems I remember a song " addicted to love " or something like that. The connotation is negative however. The dictionary doesn't say that addictions are bad things just " the fact or condition of being addicted to a particular substance, thing or object " Yet the implication is clear enough, they ain't good. So what do we call " good " addictions ?  Not a single word comes to mind. Why is that ? We can say , in a single word, all manner of bad behaviors, clumping them together as addictions. When we wish to express positive " addictions " we don't have a word for that. Is it because we are quick to point out faults ? Or is it a method to provide an excuse ? He or she is addicted, it's not their fault. We have devoted countless hours and countless dollars dealing with addiction. This has occurred from the medical side as well as the social side. Addictions need to be cured ! If they are good ones they don't. That is the only difference I can see. If we add positive behaviors to our lives ( additions ) that is great. If we become addicted that is bad. The thing is we must define what behaviors are good and bad. As a general rule, if it will kill you, it's bad.
 Well I told you I didn't have much to say. So as it turns out I wound up writing about removing the letter C from addiction. That gives us addition, a good thing. See, problem solved.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment