Wednesday, June 29, 2016

indiscriminate discrimination

 There are feelings and realities. It would seem to me that we are having trouble distinguishing between the two in America today.  You can not govern a society on feelings. Realities must be faced and dealt with. Feelings certainly stir our awareness, but wisdom should guide the action following that awareness. An emotional response to a real threat never accomplishes a thing. Enacting legislation in response to a feeling is just an appeasement, not a solution. It all goes back to the old adage, you can't please all the people, all of the time. Yup, some folks aren't going to be happy about it. The latest ploy is to holler discrimination in response to any action that displeases. It is that that is driving this wedge in America. We are being divided. The division is being predicated on this feeling that it is somehow wrong to be an American and value the American tradition. Being a Patriot has a different feeling to it nowadays. Now a true Patriot will change the American way in response to foreigners. A true Patriot should surrender to the feelings of others. We must not offend. True Patriots are all inclusive regardless of the ideology, politics, or moral foundation of the individual. To speak out in opposition is to " discriminate. " And the feeling is, if you discriminate, you are a hater ! But is that a reality ? No, I don't believe that it is. To discriminate is to recognize a difference, to make a distinction. Discrimination is an awareness. It doesn't mean I hate you, or whatever it is I am distinguishing from something else, it just means I can see the difference. It is a reality. I'll put it to you this way, if the piece doesn't fit the puzzle, I do not force it ! That is not to say it doesn't fit somewhere else,  just that I have distinguished it from the pieces that fit into this puzzle.
 The puzzle is America. I have always felt it was well defined and understood. America was founded on Independence. Just and moral behaviors were well defined. Our founding documents spelled out clearly our intent and our method of governing the actions of our citizens. These basic tenets were not questioned. That is no longer the case. Now every precedent is under review. The troubling part is that they are under emotional review, not legislative review. Changes are occurring in response to emotional pleas not based in justice, but based in empathy. Empathy simply means I understand your feelings. It doesn't mean I have to agree with them. It doesn't mean I should change my feelings in response to yours. And when that occurs it also doesn't mean I am discriminating against you. I am simply making my own choice. It is a bitter pill to swallow, I understand that , but it is a reality. There are times when you have to say, no. No matter how much your child may beg and plead there are times you must say, no. So too, it is that way in government. Our government is based on those founding documents that delineated our vision of society. To change those documents is to change that vision. And that should not be done based on feelings. You must separate your feelings from reality. Do not allow impassioned pleas to alter sound judgement. Do not discriminate indiscriminately, but do discriminate. Discriminate based on fact, not feelings. Understand the difference.  

No comments:

Post a Comment