Tuesday, November 3, 2015

Recording history

 It's election day here in Greensboro. Today we will either get a new Mayor or the previous administration continues. It is an especially exciting election because my son is running for mayor ! The campaign has been run and all that remains is the casting and counting. Coincidently my daughter in law and my granddaughter leave tomorrow morning for Disney. My granddaughter, accompanied by her dance company, are going there for seven days to attend some workshops,  culminating in a performance at Main Street Disney. This week is filled with anticipation.
 Now the election results will be known this evening. It doesn't take very long to count the ballots in Greensboro. The day will be filled with anxiety and hope, let's hope the evening is filled with celebration. There is the possibility of a loss and I don't want to think about that. My son Kevin, who will soon be the mayor ( I hope ) has had this goal for a number of years. He is currently one of the town commissioners and so must vacate that position regardless of the outcome. A lot is hanging in the balance.
 Life is series of decisions. I was born and raised outside of town and politics, coming from the blue collar crowd and having heard all the complaints about the politicians. Dad voted, it was his civic duty, but I never knew him to be much interested in the big picture. He voted a straight Republican ticket, having had a bad experience with a union and consistently blamed the Democrats for that. He was definitely a conservative long before they even called them that ! His politics was on his sleeve  as the saying goes, no mistaking his position. When I was younger I never really got involved in politics either. I have always voted, civic duty you know, but didn't always make the most informed decisions regarding candidates. I have always liked history and the why of things. You soon find out it is politics that shapes history for the most part. Economics is the other major factor and politics drives the economy. It is unfortunate that the economics part drives some of our politicians ! That is a different subject for a different day. It is certainly not the case with my son who has pledged to not take his stipend should he be elected mayor, but return it to the coffers of the taxpayers ! The current administration stated they could make no cuts in the budget, my son showed them where to begin ! That is the kind of public servant he is.
 Anyway I was talking about life and the funny little twists it throws at you. Following my retirement from the Navy I took up permanent residence in Greensboro. No residence is really permanent while you are subject to the government. When you retire from the service you are offered one move to anywhere in the United States.  I stayed. Now my son may soon be Mayor ! Was that fate intervening ?  Is that how Greensboro is to receive their new Mayor for 2016 ? Only history will tell us that answer. I'm here to record it.

No comments:

Post a Comment