Monday, November 9, 2015

My annual rant !

 Veterans day is just a few days away. There will be no parade in Greensboro, no official observation of the day. It is something I have rallied and railed about for years. We did have a parade once. The following year we held a small observation. This year, silence. Gaining participation is the issue. People are just too busy to join in. Well, it is what it is. Everyone and anyone you ask will tell you of their love and respect for our veterans, but they are too busy to do much more.
 I have taken to wearing a ball cap that says U.S.Navy retired on it. My wife purchased it for me. Every once in a while someone will notice it and say, " thank you for your service. " That is the correct social statement to make these days. The social convention as it is. I appreciate the sentiment but am only left not knowing how to respond. I usually just say, you're welcome or no problem. I'm not saying their sentiment isn't genuine but how much of that sentiment is reflexive ? That is to say, " climbing on the bandwagon. " I think about that as I watch the removal of prayer and in some cases the removal of the Pledge from our schoolhouses. I see professional athletes being criticized and punished for displaying their faith. I hear those attempting to justify making fifteen an hour for flipping burgers. I hear the cries for " universal health care " and how it should be free. Our veterans don't receive care and I hear the astonishment and incredulity from the general public. What I don't see is any action to correct the situation. That requires participation. And that is the problem. It also costs money, another issue.
  I am a veteran. It is something I did as a career choice. I was paid for my service. I will not try to convince you I did it for any deep patriotic reason. It was a job, a service that is required. I was qualified and equipped to do that job. I did that willingly. It is something I wanted to do ! I do appreciate it when people acknowledge that service, that job. Everyone likes to hear that they have contributed something of value to the society. I have written about this in the past, I am no hero and do not wish to be considered as one. Let us put things in perspective. I was just one of thousands, hundreds of thousands really. Yes, each person is important and each is a piece of the whole.
 Just as I did last year I will purchase a few flags for those veterans in the cemetery. I do this for Memorial day and Veterans day. That will be my celebration. It is not enough. Veterans day should serve as a reminder and a lesson. Freedom is not free, nothing in this world is free. There is a price to be paid. Whether the cost is your life or just a few minutes of your time there is a price. To ignore that debt is to do an injustice. I just wish the American Flag and our veterans could get the support that was shown for a Confederate Battle Flag ! Our sentiment should be just as strong for Old Glory. We need to remember that Old Glory is not just a name for a flag but the expression of a sentiment. That Glory was won on the battlefield ! It was bought and paid for with the lives of our veterans. It was bought and paid for with permanent disabilities. It was bought and paid for by years of separation and service. Old Glory lives because of new service, year after year. That service deserves recognition.
 That is my annual rant about no Veterans day celebration here in Greensboro. I feel better for having expressed my feelings. To all that would say thank you, I say you're very welcome. If it ever becomes necessary I would gladly do it again.

No comments:

Post a Comment