Sunday, November 22, 2015

Letting the dog sleep

 There is an old saying ,often used but seldom followed, let sleeping dogs lie. It is just a piece of old time wisdom also known as common sense. Once an impasse has been reached further discussion will only serve to anger. It is recognizing that impasse that is the real problem. There are other words that can be applied. tenacity is one of them. When we hold an opinion or idea so firmly that we just won't let it go. Usually that is considered to be an admiral trait but there are times when we just need to let it go. That is especially true when there are no direct actions that we can take to significantly influence the situation. Letting the " dog " get his sleep will make for a more favorable outcome we he awakens.
 I am a person that is often guilty of just such a thing. I'll wake up the dog every time. Then there is another word that is applied, opinionated. Conceit plays a role in that and I am aware of that. I try to guard against that. It is an action that takes years to change. Conceit can easily be confused with confidence. Conceit is bad, confidence is encouraged. That is something that adds to the confusion. There are times when you just feel so confident in your opinion that you want to " wake " people up. That's why we say, " wake up ! " When the other person is already wide awake that statement does nothing but infuriate. Time to let that sleeping dog lie. And the kids today think that using the term " dog " to refer to a person is something new. I don't know how many generations have used that old saying " let sleeping dogs lie " but they weren't talking about the dog. It's the old double entendre. It was used before we even knew what a double entendre was. I think it is a French word.
 I have been learning to just let things go. I think perhaps that is a product of age. I won't go as far as to say it is wisdom but it is certainly easier. I grow weary of the battle more quickly these days. I am more inclined to just move on. I have never felt it wise to rush forward and normally proceed with caution. Nothing ventured ,nothing gained is an argument for swift action. I am more concerned about the loss than the gain. I think that maybe it is just a part of my personality. I can be happy with the things I already have. It is that sense of loss that makes me want to wake that dog up ! I hate to lose at anything, even a discussion. The thing I need to learn is that opinions are not contests. They are not a test with right and wrong answers. Confidence should not be confused with correctness. Conceit is when you believe you are correct to the exclusion of all other opinions. And with that being said, I'll just let the dog sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment